BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 E64 M6 Convertible Neiman Marcus Edition with a build date of 9/2006 without a USB input.

I'm looking for a solution to integrate my iPhone 4s to able to charge and operate my music via the OEM controls. Currently I've got the 2008 BMW iPod integration kit installed with the new BMW 5v cable, and am using a Spec.Dock. Most of the time I can control the music when the iDrive doesn't hang. Once in a great while the unit will charge. Both problems are intermittent with most of the time they aren't working properly.

I've searched the BMW Forums and internet for a solution and haven't found one yet. I've spoken to BavSound and Spec.Dock and no one seems to know a solution. I've got to believe there are other E64 owners without a USB input that want/have their iPhone fully integrated to charge and operate.

Is there a fix what for my current setup that is not working?

Could it be my car requires a software update?

A last resort would be to add a USB input. Has anyone successfully added a USB input with a 9/2006 build date or before?

Please help! This is extremely frustrating. Thank you in advance.

Beomaster

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2007 E64 M6 Convertible Neiman Marcus Edition with a build date of 9/2006 without a USB input.

I'm looking for a solution to integrate my iPhone 4s to able to charge and operate my music via the OEM controls. Currently I've got the 2008 BMW iPod integration kit installed with the new BMW 5v cable, and am using a Spec.Dock. Most of the time I can control the music when the iDrive doesn't hang. Once in a great while the unit will charge. Both problems are intermittent with most of the time they aren't working properly.

I've searched the BMW Forums and internet for a solution and haven't found one yet. I've spoken to BavSound and Spec.Dock and no one seems to know a solution. I've got to believe there are other E64 owners without a USB input that want/have their iPhone fully integrated to charge and operate.

Is there a fix what for my current setup that is not working?

Could it be my car requires a software update?

A last resort would be to add a USB input. Has anyone successfully added a USB input with a 9/2006 build date or before?

Please help! This is extremely frustrating. Thank you in advance.

Beomaster

Is the spec dock a pass through or does it change the internal wiring? I just got the Dice cradle and works great. I can plug it in anytime now and it'll charge anytime the car is in radio on mode. So no more waiting for the iDrive to finish starting. There are 3 versions of this and the one I got is a 12v to 5v converter. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response. I prefer the stealth installation with Spec.Dock cradle in the air tray.

I think I may have found the problem. The Spec.Dock cradle and cable are a pass through, however, extending the cable length drops the voltage. I'm sending my Spec.Dock cradle back with the iPod cable to be hard wired so as not to extend the cable length.

I will post an update when I get it back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved. The problem was the voltage and the length of cable. By installing the spec dock the cable length was extended causing the voltage to drop which prevented it from charging the iPhone and operating properly. So I had spec dock hard wire the dock to the original cable that came with the BMW (Alpine) iPod/iPhone adapter. Randy at spec dock was very helpful and didn't charge me to for the hardwiring. hope this helps others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts