BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

last week the check engine light came on and the car became sluggish, and sounded funny.. I took it to the shop and they reported:

- Intake sensor bank 1 fault
- temperature sensor reports temps out of range
- VANOS 1 and 2 fault

They reset the codes (CE light off), and I drove the car (really hard) over the weekend. I took the car in today and now I have both cam intake sensor reporting faults. The shop wants to replace both sensor (@ $260 a pop).

They also say that the temperature fault codes were were also coming on/off (20 occurrences) and I should replace the thermostat and temp sensor as well..

the car just past the 100,000 miles mark.

Anyone has an opinion on this? should I replace both sensors? the thermostat?

another piece of info, 6 months a year ago, my car didn't pass smog. I was told that this is very rare on an M5.. is all this related?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
1. Get your own Peake code reader
2. Replace the CPS.
3. Clear all fault codes.
4. Drive the car and see if codes return.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Follow this unlock procedure and run test #7....engine (coolant) temp.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/1898-gadget-freaks-ii-fun-you-never-knew-you-could-have-secret-menu.html#post14749

The thermo in the M5 is rated for 79C. If you drive the car out on the highway after it's warmed up and that temp drops under 79C that means the thermo is letting too much coolant circulate to the radiator. I don't know what types of air temps. you have in SV, CA right now, but mine started dropping under 79C this past fall when air temps got down to about 55F. You may need to take her out overnight. Coldest air temps you can find. Hot summer air masks a bad thermo because it makes radiator less efficient, but of course "hot" is relative.

If coolant temp. gets low enough (don't think anyone knows the actual temp.) the DME would richen the mixture to try and warm your car up. This could be the problem with the smog failure.

Plus CA is strict anyway so it could be anything. Clogged air filters...old spark plugs...lazy O2 sensors, but work the codes first and see what's up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts