BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just joined the board here a couple of days ago, love reading all of the threads. Couldn't seem to find one on importing from the US to Canada. Does anybody have experience doing this or know somebody who has done it? Wouldnt mind some help, planning on getting an E60 :wroom:

Cheers!

:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just got a car imported into Canada from the US for my kid brother. The procedure while seems complicated is very simple

1. You need to send out an email to canadian border and customs 72 hrs before importing the vehicle into Canada
(I would recommend doing this atleast 100 hrs in advance)

2. There are specific port of entries for vehicles pre designated by Canadian Customs, your vehicle will be allowed to enter only through those ports so you need to find out about that based on your location
Note: Vehicle Imports are only permited Monday to Friday within specific hours (Check on the hours of operation)

3. You will need to prove that all recalls if any were fixed by the manufacturer before hand (Either a letter from the dealership or Invoice stating the recall fixes should be good enough)

4. The car must have Day Time Running lights and you would know by now thats mandated by Canada

5. The car will be inspected at the port of entry and any customs applicable will be charged

6. Once you clear customs you will be free to drive it into Canada

7. Once thats done, you will have 30 days to take it for Canadian Inspection and Emmision and get that squared away

8. Go over to Canadian DMV and then get it registered - I guess you have to pay 13% sale tax or something like that. Not sure if its based on province or if its a flat rate but you might want to check with your dmv - There are exceptions, since the car was a gift to my brother he didnt pay anything.

PM me if you have questions, I would be glad to help

Thats It !

Reactions: Stig_06

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's easy!

Buy car (make sure there is no lein)
Send title to US Customs at the port you are crossing
Wait 72 hours (business days)
Cross border (pickup title first)
Fill out paperwork
Bring car to dealer for recall clearance letter (they change cluster, HVAC, DRL module)
Get RIV stuff done

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also recommend you check out this site: CarsWithoutBorders .

Lots of good info - including the fact that the $1000 cluster replacement and $500 letter for recalls are no longer required...

SF

Reactions: Stig_06

·
Registered
148 Posts
I heard it was something to do with the Class-Action lawsuit brought to BMW Canada and Mercedes Benz Canada regarding their price protectionist policies.

I have also heard that both manufacturers are more than happy to take people's $$$ to perform these 'necessary' changes.

I guess forewarned is forearmed...though I would also encourage your own 'Due Diligence'. I am not a car importer (yet)!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts