BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Every time I turn the ignition off on my M5 I get a "bing" and the following symbol appears......

What does it mean? I can't find anything in the manual about it.

CJ

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hi Guys,

Every time I turn the ignition off on my M5 I get a "bing" and the following symbol appears......

What does it mean? I can't find anything in the manual about it.

CJ

Means put your car in gear before you exit so it doesn't roll over you and kill you lol

Reactions: ehaze

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is that really what that logo means? I always put my car in gear when I shut it off, so I've never seen that warning before. I'm gunna have to try, you've piqued my curiosity.

Ben

·
Registered
735 Posts
The handbrake on the M5 is weak, why didnt the gearbox have (P) Park like other autos,
Because SMG is a manual? Put in gear + handbrake to park.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Despite BMW's recommendation to leave the car in gear when parked... I ALWAYS leave the car in Neutral with the handbrake all the way up.

WHY????

1) What if you come out to your car, the pump has failed, and you can't get the car out of gear? Getting the car onto a flat bed would be a NIGHTMARE.

2) What if the car is hit while parked hard enough that the teeth on the gear are stripped off? (I have personally seen this happen to a friends beautiful b5 s4) You go from just cosmetic damage to having to source a new SMG, especially if you unknowingly drive off afterwards.

Reactions: Ahmed and ///Mike M

·
Registered
407 Posts
Despite BMW's recommendation to leave the car in gear when parked... I ALWAYS leave the car in Neutral with the handbrake all the way up.

WHY????

1) What if you come out to your car, the pump has failed, and you can't get the car out of gear? Getting the car onto a flat bed would be a NIGHTMARE.

2) What if the car is hit while parked hard enough that the teeth on the gear are stripped off? (I have personally seen this happen to a friends beautiful b5 s4) You go from just cosmetic damage to having to source a new SMG, especially if you unknowingly drive off afterwards.
Exactly. The way people treat other peoples property, (as we've seen in recent threads) leaving the car in gear and risking getting tapped then having to face a $4,000 repair bill; ill bring my own wheel chocks if that's what it takes to keep her from moving. (not a bad idea really, the small black metal one they give you on the normal 5 series with the spare works just fine.)

·
Registered
248 Posts
The handbrake does not hold the car when in Neutral for sure. Went to visit a friend and his home is on a slight hill. He wanted to hear my new exhaust on the M5 in the driveway which is on an incline. Took it out of gear and into N. We almost lost the damn car into a tree. Scared the SMG outta me!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I always leave mine in neutral when parking in my garage on on flat surfaces. If the car is parked on a hill it is alway left in either 1st or reverse depending on direction of slope.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I always leave mine in neutral when parking in my garage on on flat surfaces. If the car is parked on a hill it is alway left in either 1st or reverse depending on direction of slope.
+1 me as well

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
The handbrake does not hold the car when in Neutral for sure. Went to visit a friend and his home is on a slight hill. He wanted to hear my new exhaust on the M5 in the driveway which is on an incline. Took it out of gear and into N. We almost lost the damn car into a tree. Scared the SMG outta me!
You may want to get your handbrake checked. Mine holds just fine on very steep hills in N. When adjusted properly, it shouldn't have any issues holding, though it's obviously more secure to put it in 1/R as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts