BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been hearing a rattling in the dashboard/center console of my ‘02 M5 for the last few weeks and finally got around to removing the trim and HVAC etc. When I got everything removed, it looks like there are two pieces that are broken, but I can’t seem to find the parts to replace them, or how I could fix them myself. From the look of it, it seems like the last owner may have done a sloppy temporary repair, but I can’t tell for certain.

I’ve attached a picture below of the pieces that are broken. If you have any suggestions or if you happen to know what part they are so I can order replacements, I’d be forever grateful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are a few more photos. Please excuse the dust and dirt. Planning to clean it thoroughly once I fix it, but I know it’s driving me insane just looking at these photos!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The center console has 2 tabs at the upper fore region where the trim plate sits on top of where the screws are secured. Those are it, broken off.

Not much can be done other than replacing the entire console or going Macguyver to fabricate those tabs. I did so using Plasticweld epoxy putty, but, don't tell anyone, cause resale j/k. You could screw, some board from the sides, I suppose. Point is, somewhere for the trim to screw into. Securing points. The 2 just under after removing shift boot. Those screws.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know if the base part of the console can be repaired aside from replacement - I simply don't know. But my previous owner seemed to have butchered the part where the trim screws into on the upper left (like your broken tab). But about 1/2" below that (towards the ground), is a thicker piece of plastic. I was able to take 2 large-ish washers (maybe 1/2 to 3/4" diameter, and a small bolt/nut, and sandwich my trim down, using this method. I can only speak to the upper left broken one in the shift boot area.

I literally just replaced my center trim piece 10 minutes ago (out with the technical graphite, in with the birch anthracite!) and while the new tab is fine, the console piece is obviously still broken, but this bolt/washer sandwich seems to be ok. Hopefully that helps at least one of your broken tabs?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just did this repair for some reason the plastics on these become brittle and break easily or previous owners just didn't care.

The easiest option is to purchase a used one on ebay for around $20-30 (Any E39 center console) and then transfer your leather covering onto it. This is much easier than you may believe. You simple peel the leather off and then use Contact Cement to reattach it to the donor console.

Here is a link to a youtube video where the creator had the idea:

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
For some reason the Plastic components on the leather consoles break far more often than their vinyl counterparts. Due to age that is, it's hard to abuse these.

It technically can be fixed, easiest option is to remove the console and get busy with some JB weld.

I used the same material I use on plastics i refurb and it's held up ever since.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Not the console trim. We're talking the core of the center console itself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Grab one of these on eBay in good shape (ask for photos of plastic areas) I was finding them consistently for $30 but here’s an example:

and a can of this:

then peel the vinyl off and glue your leather on. Like I said before it’s pretty simple just takes a little patience.

The plastic core is the same for all E39’s you’re just swapping the outer skin. The leather is attached to some type of rubber so when you peel it off it retains the shape well and just goes over the new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ll give that a try! Appreciate the help. It’s crazy once you remove some facade and see what’s underneath your car and what bugaboos the past owner never properly dealt with...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts