BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was starting to upgrade my nav software on my MKIII unit ... I loaded the disc nad the screen said software loading ... 15 minutes later nothing, same screen, so I tried to eject ... no go ... so I shut it down ... still cannot eject cd???? Anyone have any help???

Scott (m'ster):confused2 :confused2 :confused2

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
m'ster said:
I was starting to upgrade my nav software on my MKIII unit ... I loaded the disc nad the screen said software loading ... 15 minutes later nothing, same screen, so I tried to eject ... no go ... so I shut it down ... still cannot eject cd???? Anyone have any help???

Scott (m'ster):confused2 :confused2 :confused2
I did get the cd out, but how long is it supposed to take to load the software upgrade, as I have re-burned a new cd to try again?? If it is taking 15 minutes with no screen changes, is it getting hung up? What should I do?

Thank you,

Scott??????

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Two possibilities. First, you must record the CD with a CD-R, not a CR-RW blank disk. It shouldn't matter if it is a CD+R or a CD-R, as long as it is not a rewriteable CD. Second, you cannot just copy the files to the CD, you must burn the CD from an image file. There are seveal files that you unzipped. If you are using CloneCD, one file will have a .ccd extension. This is the main file that you select using the option to "burn a CD from an image file". The other files are used during the process to properly format the CD just like the original. If you just copy the files to the CD, the NAV system will not recognize the CD because it is not in the proper format. Also, burn at 1:1 slowest speed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a cd-r and did copy the .ccd file (using clonecd), but my navigation starts up to the "accept screen", I do not chose accpet, I do nothing, then I go load the cd, then after a few seconds the screen says software loading and does that ONLY. After 15 minutes, I power down to eject ...have to wait ten minutes. The image file is not the largest one of the unzipped files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I think I got my copy from the same place- it was titled:

v24_Nero_Img.rar (~112Mb)

When I used rar to unzip it, it created:

BMW-Navi-24.nrg (~258mb)

the .nrg is a nero image file.

I downloaded the nero program (it is available as a demo)

Clone CD didn't work for me- seemed that it needed to be nero to copy the nero image.

Worked perfectly the first time.

If you have an unreadable cd (at least the navi isn't starting it) then the good news is that stopping the "upgrade" doesn't sound like it is screwing up the programming...

ard

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I thought V24 was V24... this is an upgrade to the navigation OPERATING software.. NOT the Maps.

Are you asking about UAE maps or different Nav software specific to UAE?

·
Registered
174 Posts
To be honest Im looking for anything I can get :1:

I currently dont even have a cd or any type of software installed.. There seem to be some additional nice features associated with having the Nav System installed.. (digital speedo sounds nice)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
m'ster said:
I used a cd-r and did copy the .ccd file (using clonecd), but my navigation starts up to the "accept screen", I do not chose accpet, I do nothing, then I go load the cd, then after a few seconds the screen says software loading and does that ONLY. After 15 minutes, I power down to eject ...have to wait ten minutes. The image file is not the largest one of the unzipped files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Scott
If you copied the .ccd file to the CD, you didn't do it right. You don't copy any files to the CD. You select "Burn CD from Image File", and then select the ccd file when it prompts you for the location of the image file. If you just copied the .ccd file to the CD, it won't work. The software just uses the information in the .ccd file to make the CD, it doesn't just copy this file.

Also, insert the upgrade CD into the NAV unit before turning on the ignition.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There is a small hole just below the eject button which can be used to activate the eject microswitch. Use an unfolded paperclip to gently activate the eject button through the hole. If this doesn't work you might try unplugging the fuses for the Nav system, they are located in the fuse panel under the right side trunk liner. Hopefully this will reset the Nav computer and allow the disc to be ejected in the normal way.

Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
there is no hole under the eject button. I have the MKIII. I already tried to fuse trick but still no go. Please help.. I can't even go to dealer since they would I have done something.

:crying2:

·
Registered
298 Posts
You might try www.x5world.net or emailing [email protected]. I don't know if Martin Bishop (bmwnav) can help you because it sounds like you are just doing a software upgrade and didn't buy anything from him. Unfortunately I have no other suggestions for you, the dealer may be your best bet.

Regards

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
In the past I've used a heat gun (like a super charged hair dryer) to heat up the "do not remove-voids warranty" labels from electronics items...heats up the adhesive to allow it to be removed without disturbing the surface. When done, reapply, heat and smooth...

Might be a useful tip for folks faced with opening items under warranty.

Sorry I have no pearls for you on the MK3 unit....

A

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took the unit out and saw the sticker.. It just stopped my idea. i was thinking taking back to the BMW dealer on monday and said I was it was the CD changer since I just got the car on Friday... :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts