BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
I was in my car earlier this evening listening to a song and the interior lights in the car fade out and I notice light leak around the edges of my glove box. I opened the glove box, closed it, fiddled with it, armed the alarm, opened the car door et. al. Essentially i did everything I could think of the get the light to go out and it never did. I don't know if it's enough to drain the battery and I would rather not take the chance.

Anyone have any experience with this or have any ideas why this would happen and how I can remedy this issue?

Thanks in advance guys!

agent0

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
It is definitely enough to drain the battery ... my Mother used to leave her glovebox open from time to time and I had to go and charge the battery to get her "going" again.

It is probably the switch.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I pulled the fuse for the interior lights. Extreme, maybe, but i wanted to make sure i would make my 7:30 tee time this morning. Switch huh? Is it something i can fix myself? The only switch-type part i can locate is a rubber nub where the locking mechanism from the glovebox door meets the rest of the assembly. Is that the switch?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
i noticed the same thing and actually grabbed a beer, sat in the dark car and waited. It finally went out after 15 to 20 minutes or so. Weird...

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Actually, BMW has probably upgraded their systems since my Mom's car was built. They may turn off the glovebox light after a given amount of time (as per John 540i6).

There should be a button (round or maybe square ... from 1/16" to 3/8") somewhere that the glovebox door closes against. I'll go out and check later and update.

UPDATE: Complete puzzlement ... I checked with a time release camera ... no light after closing the trunk (it's daytime and no room in the glovebox right now) ... but, NO buttons anywhere, glovebox, or trunk. I'm thinking it is tied to the interior light system. If the interior lights are ON, all are on, including the glovebox and trunk. I will investigate further, later.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i noticed the same thing and actually grabbed a beer, sat in the dark car and waited. It finally went out after 15 to 20 minutes or so. Weird...
OK, this is some info I use. Thanks!

jclyman - Let me know if you find the switch.

In the meantime, i guess I'll make me a rum and coke and sit in the dark for a few minutes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Your right, i found out about this when i was detailing one of my clients cars (BMW) this goes for the trunk light aswell...
Actually, BMW has probably upgraded their systems since my Mom's car was built. They may turn off the glovebox light after a given amount of time (as per John 540i6).

There should be a button (round or maybe square ... from 1/16" to 3/8") somewhere that the glovebox door closes against. I'll go out and check later and update.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Checked. See UPDATE in post # 5.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts

UPDATE: Complete puzzlement ... I checked with a time release camera ... no light after closing the trunk (it's daytime and no room in the glovebox right now) ... but, NO buttons anywhere, glovebox, or trunk. I'm thinking it is tied to the interior light system. If the interior lights are ON, all are on, including the glovebox and trunk. I will investigate further, later.
Switches are built into latches or closing mechanisms now. Your door, for example, no longer has a pin switch in the jamb - the latch itself has the switch built into it...

d-

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Switches are built into latches or closing mechanisms now. Your door, for example, no longer has a pin switch in the jamb - the latch itself has the switch built into it...

d-
THAT may be the answer (based on experience I had in trying to turn off the interior lights on my 318 a while ago ... had to "pretend" to close the door (rotate the "striker') to get them off) ... Thanks, Doug. (But, curiousity has the best of me now ... so I will still check some more, later.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts