BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Eonon GA6201 and the A0579 Extended Harness that claims to work with the factory navigation equipped E39's and DSP

After plugging the wiring harness adapter into the stock radio and the adapter into the stock wiring to the DSP AMP, the unit works, powers on and off with the car, but if the stock head unit is disconnected, the SOUND turn off after 20-30 seconds.

After searching for hours to figure out the wiring, pin outs and DSP bypassing.... I give up.

- I know Dynavin N6 is supposed to be plug and play at $650

- But this unit is $300 and I thought is worth the try

Here is where I need help if anybody can point me in the correct direction. Thank you in advance!

I've seen plenty of info on jumping the DSP and wiring 5 wires together that bypasses the DSP so I know it is possible if that is the option.

Can I trick DSP to stay on with the aftermarket head unit that plugs directly into the radio in the trunk?

1. Do I need to disconnect all factory units from the system - Navigation, CD Changer, Phone?
2. Do all the male plug on the adapter harness look in correct places?

I plugged the provided adapter with the Eonon into the radio in the trunk, and the other end into the harness.
Maybe I am doing something wrong, or the 17PIN adapter provided by Eonon has the pins in the wrong locations.

From what I see on the 17PIN plug on the harness, seems something is in the wrong place.

Here are some pics with the wiring adapter, stock wiring and what I plugged in where.

1. Radio in the trunk of my 2000 M5

2. 17PIN Plug from the car - Female OEM

3. 17PIN Plug from the Eonon Adapter - Male

4. 17PIN Plug from the Eonon Adapter - Female

5. Antenna Adapter from the Eonon harness??

6. Canbus adapter for the steering wheel controls

This is the Wiring jumping I found that another member of the BMW community has used in his X5 to bypass the DSP

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hate to tell you this, but Eonon's website specifically shows that the unit is incompatible with your car if these 4 pins are missing...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hate to tell you this, but Eonon's website specifically shows that the unit is incompatible with your car if these 4 pins are missing...

Maybe noticed that too late or decided to disregard and just go for it, I guess my impulsive buying is catching up.

Thanks for the input.

I'm just gonna get the AMP replaced then.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TO OP: Did you replace the AMP? Do you have some advice as to how you hooked the Eonon Head Unit and the speakers to the amp? Thanks.

You'd think that Eonon would be a little more clear. What does it mean when those 4 pins are missing from the 17 pin radio harness plug?
I ended up spending $300 on getting a new amp wired in.

The installation is actually not that complicated since the battery is in the trunk and the speaker wires can be reused.

The sound quality was good and the modern features are good in the car that is 17 years old.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

The installation is actually not that complicated since the battery is in the trunk and the speaker wires can be reused.

The sound quality was good and the modern features are good in the car that is 17 years old.

Please excuse my sophomore questions:

1. Did you use the EONON unit?
2. If so, did you run RCA cables back to the new amplifier?
3. How did you run power to the speakers - did you use crossover(s)?

Why didn't you just return the EONON?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I bought the Eonon GA6201 and the A0579 Extended Harness that claims to work with the factory navigation equipped E39's and DSP

After plugging the wiring harness adapter into the stock radio and the adapter into the stock wiring to the DSP AMP, the unit works, powers on and off with the car, but if the stock head unit is disconnected, the SOUND turn off after 20-30 seconds.
For dsp amp, all your oem equipment still need to be connected. This includes the 16:9 headunit. It controls the dsp amp and navigation.

You could gut the interior and move the 16:9 to the trunk but it's a lot of work. Instead of doing this, I took apart the headunit, determined the 2 main circuit boards need to be used, and stuffed them in the dash below the steering wheel. Aside from that, all the wiring and extended harness is plug and play except the illumination needs to be tapped to an existing line (grey/red).

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For dsp amp, all your oem equipment still need to be connected. This includes the 16:9 headunit. It controls the dsp amp and navigation.

You could gut the interior and move the 16:9 to the trunk but it's a lot of work. Instead of doing this, I took apart the headunit, determined the 2 main circuit boards need to be used, and stuffed them in the dash below the steering wheel. Aside from that, all the wiring and extended harness is plug and play except the illumination needs to be tapped to an existing line (grey/red).
this is solid!

·
Registered
40 Posts

Do you know if the extension harness was needed after adding the amp? What wires are in the harness?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know if the extension harness was needed after adding the amp? What wires are in the harness?
With the aftermarket AMP you do not need the extension harness, you can reuse the old speaker wires that already come from the front of the car, I did youse crossovers.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I did the mistake of getting eonon. I end up keeping all the Bmw hooked up but relocated and I have to turn the Bmw head unit on so I can get sound every time. And randomly the sound will cut off and I turn it on again from the Bmw head unit. I think this Bmw crappy system need to stay untouched or pay professionals to remove entire system and put new one. For me I'm happy to hear the Exhust note. No sound needed :p

·
Registered
9 Posts

Until I came across this thread, everything I read, said that only the radio unit in the trunk needed to be retained (hence the 5meter harness). I of course didn't test anything before I installed it. Ran the harness, the back-up camera, the GPS & wifi antennas, the microphone, and the dash cam before I ran into the DSP brick wall where the audio cut out after 30 seconds. I was so far down the rabbit hole at this point I didn't want to turn back so I followed your lead and disassembled my 16:9 head unit. I had to desolder one screw and dremel off another to get it out of the frame. I couldn't get mine to fit in your location, the stock foam sound deadening under the dash would have crushed it, so I encased it in cardboard and installed it above/behind the new head unit. Works like a charm but man was it annoying. My whole reason for getting this head-unit with the harness and without swapping out the DSP amp was to retain the option of going back to stock. With my stock 16:9 screen in pieces that's definitely not going to happen.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I ran into the DSP brick wall where the audio cut out after 30 seconds. I was so far down the rabbit hole at this point I didn't want to turn back so I followed your lead and disassembled my 16:9 head unit. I had to desolder one screw and dremel off another to get it out of the frame.
I tried all tricks to keep the DSP amp awake but they didn't work. Maybe they were faked to get people to buy these units. One guy made a video on xoutpost but I'm sure this was fake too. It was easy to make a video to make it look like the wiring tricks works. After a lot of testing I found you need to keep everything connected.

Doesn't the DSP just need to be recoded to fix the 30-seconds issue (to prevent it going to sleep mode, or something similar)?
I got it to work by keeping all the units connected long before those apps came out. I'm not sure I want to buy the apps now that I have it working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got on this thread way too late for OP and others, but might help future users. I actually have two E39s with DSP, 540 and M5. Although the radio is very different between the two, M5 had Navigation and radio receiver in the trunk, they both interfaced to DSP. The Eonon I got has been working without any wiring modification, other than I-bus interface. I purchased the extension cable from Eonon since I have the DSP and ran it from head unit to DSP. I bought an I-bus interface and I-bus APP (Shop). After connecting the I-bus interface, I went into the DSP setting in the I-bus app and set up the Boardmonitor. Once that was done, my DSP stays on. Yes, like any Android devices there are glitches with apps. Sometime I need to press the DSP button on the I-bus app to send DSP On signal to the DSP or there is no sound, but that's not very often. My iPhone BT connects to Eonon just fine, but the BT Music app don't always show it is connected to my iPhone, but the Phone app does work and passes audio. Otherwise, I've been very happy with Eonon. It looks very much like factory. With I-bus app running, you can get all the OBC data display and PDC. There are many more functions offered by I-bus app so read on your own. The sound of both cars have much improved. I've never really liked my 540's DSP sound. I could never tweak it to my liking. It was very flat (none dimensional). The highs and lows were not there. Now, with a new head unit, the sound quality has improved way more than I expected even with the stock speaker. I'm actually a bit more impressed with the stock speakers because I had faulted the stock speakers for the flat sound. The M5 has a better sub-woofer so that car sounds even better than the 540. I had the M5 eonon for about 14 months and 540 for about 19 months. It's definitely cheaper than other alternative, in particular the major Japanese brands. I can't say it is better than those radios, but it is better than my stock radio. When I purchased the Eonon radio, Eonon actually said my type of radio connector is not compatible, but some people had it working (without I-bus app) so I went for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts