BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When listening to CDs or the radio, the sound in my year 2000 model intermittently drops out leaving silence for a few seconds then it comes back on. Other times, when listening to CDs, the sound drops out, the LED showing the sound system being on goes out and the monitor goes to the menu page. Again after a few seconds, the system comes back to life but defaults to the radio rather than back to the CD player. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Any help most appreciated!!

Dave

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds like a short in the connector plug on the back of the unit.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
First thing to try would be unplugging, and cleaning all the connections to the DSP amp radio and CD changer, then replug.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'd have to double-check, but I don't believe that the headunit radio power light has anything to do with whether or not the radio is physically on or not.

My suspicion, therefore, is that your headunit has developed an interesting, but annoying, fault.

I'll try to double-check tomorrow - might want to send me a PM to remind me ;)

d-

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Well, I double-checked, and sure enough, that little orange radio light is tied to the radio unit itself.

It is definitely NOT tied to the amplifier (since my little orange light comes on and I don't have a factory amp :))

So at this point you either have a faulty bordmonitor turning your radio off and on or you have a faulty radio module which is shutting itself down for some reason and then recovering.

I'm now leaning toward a faulty radio module: if your bordmonitor was just turning the radio off and on it would start on CD if that was what you were playing before.

Before you do much else, I'd try a full system reset. Disconnect both leads from your battery, let it sit for about 5 minutes, touch the leads together, and then reconnect both leads to the battery.

This will reset the entire audio/video system. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then post again with more examples of system behaviour and we'll continue on with the diagnosis :)

d-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts