BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found out I need to replace the transmission. I have sourced a replacement but before I get it sent across the continent, I want to be certain it is from an M5. The seller says he bought it as part of an entire M5 drivetrain, and it would be hard to mistake the M5 diff for anything else, but I still need to be certain.

There are three part numbers on the transmission. The bell housing, center casing and rear casing with the prop shaft are all unique numbers.

The numbers on the bell match on both transmissions. I would suspect this to be the case, even if it came from a 540i/6.

The numbers on the center casing are slightly off.

Mine: 226.0.0274.95
His: 226.0.0274.90

As is the case with the rear segment.

Mine: 226.0.0276.92
His: 226.0.0276.91

Now, I have called the dealer and they could not give me anything concrete, other than saying it could be related to manufacture location/date/batch etc. Usually the date is stamped elsewhere, so I doubt it would be that, though I haven't looked yet. He believes his is from a 2003, my car is an 02, so it is reasonable that dates and batches may have something to do with the discrepancy.

One transmission on eBay has the EXACT same part numbers in the photos as mine does, but it does not specify the year it came out of, so I cannot say for sure it supports build date/model year as an explanation.

So, my question to you guys is: What is denoted by the last digits in a BMW part number? Is there enough of a difference in the numbers I provided to cast doubt on whether or not this is suitable for an M5?

Can anyone break this XXX.X.XXXX.XX code down into what it means in its entirety? Is there a resource I just haven't been able to find for this?

I know the 226 denotes the internal code for the Getrag 420D, and I am hoping the fact the next 5 are correct indicates that it is an M5 box. I know the 420D was used in the E46 M3, 540i and Z8 with different ratios and synchros and such which is why I need to be certain, even though I think the difference may be inconsequential.

Another complicating issue is that BMW only lists current part numbers for transmissions in the database, meaning they are all codes for REBUILT units and are completely different. There is nothing to cross-reference, and oddly they have no part number history on this....

I'm hoping you guys can help. I have searched repeatedly on the forums and internet and come up with virtually nothing. Someone out there has to know something about these numbers!

Thanks
Dave

·
4,385 Posts
realoem lists the U.S. part no. for a 2003 transmission as:

and for a euro car it gives 2 parts one post 1999 and one ending in 1999

01 Rmfd-6 speed gearbox S6S 420G - TBAD 1 09/1999 23001434517 ENDED
01 Rmfd-6 speed gearbox S6S 420G - TBAF 1 09/1999 23007501757 $4,468.06

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for looking that up, but I think that is actually the nature of the problem. Since they are Remanufactured, the part number is different from the original unit. At least that is the deduction my parts guys at the dealer came up with. The original units are stamped with the '226' prefix which denoted the Getrag 420D. Apparently Remans are denoted '230', or so they told me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts