BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
The fan clutch doesn't do the main portion of the cooling. It's the electric aux fan that does the vast majority of the cooling when stationary.
It's the other way around. The fan clutch is the main fan at idle and low speeds. The aux fan is....auxiliary. Only kicks in when the fan clutch can't keep up and when AC is on.

What coolant are you using? And mix ratio?
Which thermostat did you install? It could possibly be defective. They usually fail open, but I've seen a couple fail closed and raise both temps like in your situation.
Might want to try doing a combustion leak test.

Registered
This all of a sudden turned into a technical thread and now I'm super confused.
Two very reliable sources of the forum is giving the complete opposite info 馃お
Yeah, I don't know what happened there. He quoted your username, but with my words. Not sure which he was trying to rebut.

Here's exactly what I said via TIS. It's same thing with any other fan clutch engine

you can definitely cant drive with just electric fan but can with mechanical clutch. the electrical fan kick on iirc 86-88c to assist the clutch fan.
Exactly. Aux fan failure is pretty common on these cars now with age and miles. A lot of cars still run without overheating (E46, E36, etc.)

Its a genuine bmw thermostat, very low chances of it being defective.
It can happen. I've seen it and both oil and coolant needles would start swinging to the right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts