BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of repairing my E39 M5 from a collision to the front.

The BST battery safe terminal on the positive battery cable connected to the battery has been deployed, leaving me unable to start the car. I want to know if there is a way to delete the BST and connect the positive cable direct to the terminal without the BST using this battery safe terminal bypass . Only thing is where do I wire this bypass to and is there a way of just removing my deployed BST?

Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ideally I don't want to be replacing the entire positive battery cable as it's a labour intensive job and I don't think it's worth it. Isn't there a way to replace the BST part of the cable or just delete it and bypass it?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Ideally I don't want to be replacing the entire positive battery cable as it's a labour intensive job and I don't think it's worth it. Isn't there a way to replace the BST part of the cable or just delete it and bypass it?
Absolutely. Cut it off and put a battery terminal connector on it. You would still need a way to simulate the BST, though.

I would just get a new cable from Clemster or get the BMW repair kit if it's still available.

Reactions: FH5

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
If you can't read wiring diagrams and figure this out on your own you should not be messing with this system. They are designed to save lives. Also you could screw the whole system up and cause an airbag to deploy.
Clemster is a member here PM him.
Get the end with the short wire intact and have him cut the cable to the starter and simply joint and seal that. One wire only runs over to the fuse panel in the trunk. It will be less labour than what you are suggesting and it will be safe.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can't read wiring diagrams and figure this out on your own you should not be messing with this system. They are designed to save lives. Also you could srew the whole system up and cause an airbag to deploy.
Clemster is a member here PM him.
Get the end with the short wire intact and have him cut the cable to the starter and simply joint and seal that. One wire only runs over to the fuse panel in the trunk. It will be less labour than what you are suggesting and it will be safe.
Saying it saves lives is subjective. It actually risked my life because it cut the power leaving me stranded on a highway with fast cars going past rendering my car immobile from the minor collison. So you're saying just cut 1 metre from the BST and join a wire from an undamaged e39 M5? So basically the join is in the trunk? I cannot PM Clemster and also I am in London, UK anyway.

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Yes. I know you live in England but have shipped to and fro many times prices are not that bad.
The problem is the BST is connected into that system and you are asking for someone else to take responsibility for a mistake you might make.
You seem to have the basic idea here are the wiring diagrams.
WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - 5 E39 from 09/98
If you can't PM yet send him a visitor message or look in the For sale forum where he has many adds and an email address. Or reply to one of those threads.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. I know you live in England but have shipped to and fro many times prices are not that bad.
The problem is the BST is connected into that system and you are asking for someone else to take responsibility for a mistake you might make.
You seem to have the basic idea here are the wiring diagrams.
WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - 5 E39 from 09/98
If you can't PM yet send him a visitor message or look in the For sale forum where he has many adds and an email address. Or reply to one of those threads.
Ok I have posted on one of his threads. Someone local to me has an E39 M5 for breaking, I just want to know is it possible, like the BMW repair kit for other models, can I just cut the wire 1 metre from the battery terminal and join it to the undetonated piece of cable from the breakers, just like the repair kit method in the trunk?

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
The repair kit is exactly that. One wire(to the starter) Requires a joint. The wire to the dist panel is intact and the firing wire needs to be joined. If you have a local breaker get one there, but check with Clem on price. His price + shipping maybe less. Then again your breaker may give you a discount if you buy all the parts you need. The only thing you won't get from the breaker is the connecter for the wire to the starter.
You might find one at an atou supplier but try an industrial electric shop. Use self amalgamating tape the shrink tube over that for insulation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Success! My local breakers had the BST cable off another M5 for a bargain £35! I went to my M5 and removed the BST, took 5 minutes. Now to fit the new one after fitting my replacement airbag which I got for another bargain £25 (facelift steering wheel round airbag). Thanks guys.

Old vs new:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts