BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, so much for the M Mobility kit.

Driving down to San Carlos last night, just cruising and I nail a pothole on 580W in Livermore at 80mph or so.

I immediately knew it was bad news- sure enough the alarm goes and I pull over.

Right front rim dented AND BROKEN! Tire looks fine, rim has a flat dent around 3/4" and a crack along the circumference around 3" long-

****, ****, ****

So, a favor: anyone in the Bay Area have a spare rim I can use?

My plan is to buy two rear rims, with appropriate tires and use my one good remaining front for a spare (yeah, too late...)

Unfortunately, the car is 150 miles from home and I need to get back home on Wednesday.

If I cannot find a loaner tire or rim, (or maybe buying a used one) I'll wind up buying a dealer new front for $600+, and still be needing to buy a pair of rears..

Heck, even if I buy rears from the dealer (bend over) I still need to order 3mm spacers from somewhere...

Anyway, if anyone local is so inclined drop me a PM- I'll be indebted.

I got a tow to a hotel in San Carlos- so that's where I'm at now. (A 2.5 hour trip turns into 5) I'll pick up a rental in the AM and figure out what to do sometime tomorrow. (I'm hoping the dealer has a better idea that waiting a day for a brand new rim...)

Thanks in advance.

Adam

·
10,458 Posts
Try to PM Emperor, he has my track wheels from his bimmerfest trip, and is not too far from where you are i think. You could use one of the track wheels temporarily (you'll need a spacer too for the front, he has them).
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW.

I'm on it-

Thanks

A

·
Registered
252 Posts
ard,

i was in the SAME EXACT situation on a trip to LA. I am in the Bay Area and can help you out either with a spare or new rears. I spent the money at the dealer as I had no choice in my situation, but I'd like to help you out. Call me at 408.313.0622

eddie.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for not closing out this post- I just figured I'd let it die and slide down the list as opposed to taking up valuable space at the top..

Guys- THANKS for all the help. I did find a loaner, and an now looking for either a front rim or two rears...

A

PS Eddie- I'll call - thx

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Ard,
This is what the message board is for! I hope it works out for you.

Btw- did you really tow the car or get it flat bedded? I thought towing these cars is not recommended.....

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MEnthusiast said:
Ard,
This is what the message board is for! I hope it works out for you.

Btw- did you really tow the car or get it flat bedded? I thought towing these cars is not recommended.....
Count on a sharp eyed member to catch that 'conversational usage'... it was a flat bed tow. NO WAY they were going to hook it- and also no way they were going to use the little wheel-dolly...

Flat bed and I rode in the cab to keep an eye on it. :)

A

1 - 10 of 10 Posts