BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today randomly the car decided to develop a misfire. It appears to be the entire right bank (cylinders 1-5) of the engine. It happens randomly. No matter what mode the car is in or how fast or slow or stationary I am. I start the car and it starts fine. sounds good for a few moments then "Engine Malfunction Power Reduced" Redline drops to 4k car runs like SH (Poop). Code reader sows up w/ P300 P301, P302. Basically Cyls 1 and 2 misfire and multiple misfire. Any suggestions before I ship it back to texas and sue the dealer for my money back?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well since it's multiple cylinders, I wouldn't think a stuck injector which is deadly on this car. A simple test would be to swap your ionic sensors from L to R, R to L and see if the miss fires go to cylinders 6 and 7 or bank 2. If so easy fix by buying a new sensor. They are located under the plastic covers on the top front of each head. Very common on these cars.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going to give that a shot tomorrow. Hopefully its something that simple. I was researching and found someone else who said the same thing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I've swapped coil packs from cylinder to cylinder as well as spark plugs. Swapped the Ionic Control Units from side to side. Still coming up w/ the exact same error codes for the exact same cylinders. Cylinders 1&2 misfire and cylinder 5 intermittently does the same.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Compression check is next. Get yourself a copy of INPA and monitor combustion quality on each cylinder while running. You can tell if the wiring harness to the coil packs has bad connections that way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its kind of screwed up that ive had the car for under 1k miles and its gonna cost me a crapload to fix. depends on what the dealer wants to do. I think they need to make it right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im uploading a Youtube video right now so that hopefully u guys can give me an idea of what to try next.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Where did you buy it? A week in, I would be knocking on their door. INPA will show you the error log as well as the error history. ISTA/D (what the dealers use) will show/delete the error log, but not the error history. If you can find someone with INPA to pull the error *history* and show if errors occurred a large number of times more than you have seen them, then you have a case for intentional misrepresentation.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I had random misfires in all 5 cylinders on one bank which turned out to be a cut in the brake booster hose if I remember correctly, the only way I found out the issue was by doing a smoke test for leaks.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
It's located at the rear of the manifold, I had a misfire and bad idle for 3 months but could never figure it out until I decided to do a smoke test and there it was.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cant see anything like that. If its the hose thats on the bottom right under the intake mani at the back of the engine then its fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so im not 100% positive but I believe my #2 injector is stuck open. I pulled all coils and plugs and the #2 is wet while all others are dry? What do you guys think? IS there a way to fix the injector or must it be replaced?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im having a hard time getting the Intake Plenum off to access the injectors. is there a trick to it?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts