BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic implies when I drive my 2000 m5 for the first little while when I release the clutch the car surges forward a little like I was applying gas before I released it. It feels almost as if the rpms are too high for the next gear hence the pull. After driving for about 5-10 mins it seems to go away. I appologize for my poor description of the symptoms. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the throw out bearing (not even quite sure as to what that does). I am not driving the car hard when this happens 2000-2500rpm changes Any help is greatly appreciated from this novice beast owner.

Regards

Ryan

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
DO you wait for the car to warm up at all b4 taking off, even to the point where the rpms drop below 1k.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jayson said:
DO you wait for the car to warm up at all b4 taking off, even to the point where the rpms drop below 1k.
I do wait for the car to warm up a bit. I haven't paid close attention to what the rpms are at but I always wait for the fan (vacumm like sound) to finish before I start driving. I will wait until the rpms are sup 1000 tomorrow to see if there is a difference.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Hey Ryan, lets see if we can get more info on this, as it is a little hard to diagnose.
When you pull the clutch out from a dead stop, does the car shudder as the clutch engages? Does it shudder when you change gears (upshifts and downshifts)?
If there is any shudder or problems when shifting I think you might try getting the rpms closer to where they need to be before letting the clutch out, as if the rpms are correct then there shouldnt be any shudder, even if something is wrong.
If you have a clutch that shudders and jerks I would look at the throwout bearing, check for any hot spots on the flywheel, or uneven wear on the clutch. You will need to remove the tranny to check for the latter two.
Is there any quiet grinding noise when the clutch is out in neutral at a stop? A metallic hum for lack of better words is the noise a throwout bearing makes when it is bad. If it is the throwout bearing, it would have to be really shot before it would cause jerky engagement.
Is the clutch slipping on the upshifts? If so, that might be the problem, as if it wont grab hard it might feel odd on upshifts.
Hope this helps out some.
:cheers:

·
10,458 Posts
GT4ME said:
I do wait for the car to warm up a bit. I haven't paid close attention to what the rpms are at but I always wait for the fan (vacumm like sound) to finish before I start driving. I will wait until the rpms are sup 1000 tomorrow to see if there is a difference.

Ryan

I don't really think the idle rpm is the issue. I take off almost immediately, certainly while the smog pump is still running and no take off issues. Sounds more like a clutch /pressure plate/throwout bearing issue, especially if it's just when the car is cold.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts