BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys, picked up my 06 M5 from the dealer after taking it there due to several warning lights coming on and off during driving, the speedometer would shut off while driving..wipers would stop and start back, ABS lights, Transmission cog would appear, tire monitor, and i even lost power stering a few times, the dealer told me the problem was my Alternator because the charging voltage was low, and that the car carries a water cooled alternator that cost $1450 for the part...i just find that a little hard to believe...if i start the car in the morning and drive it for 5-10 minutes i have no problems suddenly everything starts going crazy...any feedback? would greatly appreciate it before making such a large purchase on a part....has anyone else had this issue? :confused:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Definitely sounds like you have electrical problems. Read through the other threads here by owners with the exact same issues as you.

For the alternator, the list price looks to be about half that, and just over $500 at getbmwparts. Does the $1450 include anything else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you Chowda for the warm welcome, i shall get to that later on today when i get home with my meter, and thanks pete! thats definitely more of what i thought the price of the part would be!, the dealer checked the electrical system and told me i had to change the alternator but i took the car home rather than spend almost 1700 with labor to get it changed..i knew that price was way over what i should of spent, thanks guys ill repost an update later on.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
There is an alternator DIY in the master sticky, but it is from the BMW TIS and not very detailed if you are a novice. Hopefully someone posts a more detailed one at some point. Also check the voltage regulator one by latinskllz.

·
Registered
735 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.