BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last - took deliver of stock E39 M5 2000 Carbon Black 25,000 miles - first impressions ? I am not sure, a part from the obvious - a lot of power - yes and superior handling ( from the other existing E39 Sei) - anyway, I am not sure whether I am simplying paranoid (after reading the many posts on dodgy clutches and vanos issues etc ) but I could do with some advice ( and reassuraance, even though I purchased the car from a BMW dealership who performed and inspection 1 service, did a 120 point check and and MOT test ) - but I feel fellow 'enthusiasts/drivers' could be more helpful.

1) I am findly that the gearbox is stickly, need to nudge gear when changing, doesn't seem smooth - is this common or normal - and is meant to be due to a 'heavier' gear box ? - I know around 4000 miles ago the clutch plate (not full clutch) was changed.
2) The fan - seems to be on all the time, again is this normal ?
3) Is the engine meant to be noisy ( now I mean whether there should be some kind of reasonably heard noise from a V8 engine - or should it be quite quiet.
4) Brakes - how responsive should these be ?
5) Sport Mode - what difference does this make ? and is this meant to be on with or without DSC ?
6) Wing Mirrors - I noticed when reversing one of the wing mirrors dipped so as I could see the wheels when reversing - this came on once and ever since then I have been unable to get this is on - how can I get this on again ?

I know - lots of questions - but I would appreciate your assistance in getting these questions answered.

Thanking you indvance.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
1: I'm beginning to think this is the way it is - normal.
2: Don't know.
3: Not sure what you mean by noisy. It is not quiet in idle. Fan & belts spinning, etc.
4: Too broad of a question.
5: Heavier steering and a more sensitive throttle.
6: Flip the left/right mirror adjustment switch to the other side.

·
10,458 Posts
All sounds pretty normal to me.
1. notchy, worse when cold, that's normal
2. do you mean the electric fan? Mine only runs if the engine/ambient temp is high, and or the ac is on
3. lots of mechanical noise, yes normal
4. brakes are a bit soft feeling for a performance car.
5 and 6 i think were answered already!
Mike

hiphoptrip said:
1) I am findly that the gearbox is stickly, need to nudge gear when changing, doesn't seem smooth - is this common or normal - and is meant to be due to a 'heavier' gear box ? - I know around 4000 miles ago the clutch plate (not full clutch) was changed.
3) Is the engine meant to be noisy ( now I mean whether there should be some kind of reasonably heard noise from a V8 engine - or should it be quite quiet.
5) Sport Mode - what difference does this make ? and is this meant to be on with or without DSC ?
6) Wing Mirrors - I noticed when reversing one of the wing mirrors dipped so as I could see the wheels when reversing - this came on once and ever since then I have been unable to get this is on - how can I get this on again ?

I know - lots of questions - but I would appreciate your assistance in getting these questions answered.

Thanking you indvance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Phew - I thought I was going mad - thanks for your advice - feeling reassured already.

Regarding the brakes - I have driven a number of performance cars and now eventually having driven the M5 - I personally don't feel as though the brakes are anything special - especially for a car producing the power it does .
Cheers:M5thumbs:

a_ok2me said:
1: I'm beginning to think this is the way it is - normal.
2: Don't know.
3: Not sure what you mean by noisy. It is not quiet in idle. Fan & belts spinning, etc.
4: Too broad of a question.
5: Heavier steering and a more sensitive throttle.
6: Flip the left/right mirror adjustment switch to the other side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Phew - I thought I was going mad - thanks for your advice - feeling reassured already.

Regarding the brakes - I have owned/driven a number of performance cars and now eventually having driven the M5 - I personally don't feel as though the brakes are anything special - especially for a car producing the power it does.

I suppose I am being somewhat being more analytical (or is it crtitical?) of the car - since this car is new to me I just want to make sure everything is in top shape as it should be.

Another question for you (if you don't mind) - when starting the car cold, I notice that it's really loud (diesel like) - again is this normal ? - I have read many posts on problems with 'Vanos' being resulting in loss/dips in power and the diesel like sound - and that many 2000 model M5's have been affected ( mine is a Sep 2000 model ) - although I haven't experienced dips in power - the engine does sound diesel like (ticking, grumbling) on a cold start and occassionaly when idling.

I took the car on the motorway yesterday, hoping to put it through its paces - but because of a very busy motorway - I could only manage 100mph - the car really eats up road - and the great thing was the power was just raring to unleash - again, I don't if this is too much of a genaralised question, but do you think if there was a Vanos problem - then I would of experienced loss/dip in power instead at this stage - I don't have any warning lights on, but do these come on always when there is a Vanos issue ? and what should I look out for as far as Vanos problems ?

I would welcome your comments/suggestions/advice.

Cheers :M5thumbs:

mottati said:
All sounds pretty normal to me.
1. notchy, worse when cold, that's normal
2. do you mean the electric fan? Mine only runs if the engine/ambient temp is high, and or the ac is on
3. lots of mechanical noise, yes normal
4. brakes are a bit soft feeling for a performance car.
5 and 6 i think were answered already!
Mike

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
hiphoptrip said:
1. Already answered. Probably normal to most M5s.
2. My 99 540i had a louder engine fan than my '02 M5. This might be normal but it only was loud after idling in traffic in summer heat. The '02 seems to run more but is quieter.
3. The is a lot of mechanical noise at idle (timing chains, VANOS, etc). The high RPM sounds make me want to do it over and over. Engine/exhaust noise on acceleration fits the car (more than a Lexus, less than a Corvette). A 2000 I drove did have more exhaust noise than my '02.
4. I've thought the brakes to be a bit soft a top but nicely progressive and plenty for a 4000lb car. I think the brake assist only kicks in above 50mph. It seems to take less pedal effort to slow from 80 than from 40.
5 & 6. Already answered.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
hiphoptrip said:
Another question for you (if you don't mind) - when starting the car cold, I notice that it's really loud (diesel like) - again is this normal ? - I have read many posts on problems with 'Vanos' being resulting in loss/dips in power and the diesel like sound - and that many 2000 model M5's have been affected ( mine is a Sep 2000 model ) - although I haven't experienced dips in power - the engine does sound diesel like (ticking, grumbling) on a cold start and occassionaly when idling.

I took the car on the motorway yesterday, hoping to put it through its paces - but because of a very busy motorway - I could only manage 100mph - the car really eats up road - and the great thing was the power was just raring to unleash - again, I don't if this is too much of a genaralised question, but do you think if there was a Vanos problem - then I would of experienced loss/dip in power instead at this stage - I don't have any warning lights on, but do these come on always when there is a Vanos issue ? and what should I look out for as far as Vanos problems ?

I would welcome your comments/suggestions/advice.

I have not experienced the VANOS issue but researched it quite a bit before I purchased my car.

The most common VANOS issue I read about (which seems to occur mostly with 2000s) is a diesel-like noise, especially when starting the car or idling. BMW's position is that this is of no consequence, but they did replace the VANOS units if the customer brought it up and the car was under warranty.

There are no warning lights or performance issues with the above VANOS issue; the car should function just fine. Unless the noise bothers you alot I would ignore it (unless you begin to have any performance issues).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kevin - appreciate your advice.

KevinM said:
I have not experienced the VANOS issue but researched it quite a bit before I purchased my car.

The most common VANOS issue I read about (which seems to occur mostly with 2000s) is a diesel-like noise, especially when starting the car or idling. BMW's position is that this is of no consequence, but they did replace the VANOS units if the customer brought it up and the car was under warranty.

There are no warning lights or performance issues with the above VANOS issue; the car should function just fine. Unless the noise bothers you alot I would ignore it (unless you begin to have any performance issues).

·
10,458 Posts
as has been said, the cold start vanos noise is normal. The only thing i'll add... If you were underwarranty and complained there was a "vanos accumulator kit" that would be installed, essentially I see it as a type of one way valve to keep oil from draining out of the vanos unit (this might be an oversimplification). The noise comes from lack of oil pressure in the vanos units on initial start up.

If the vanos unit were to give problems, there would be drivability problems and a SES light.
Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

mottati said:
as has been said, the cold start vanos noise is normal. The only thing i'll add... If you were underwarranty and complained there was a "vanos accumulator kit" that would be installed, essentially I see it as a type of one way valve to keep oil from draining out of the vanos unit (this might be an oversimplification). The noise comes from lack of oil pressure in the vanos units on initial start up.

If the vanos unit were to give problems, there would be drivability problems and a SES light.
Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Richard!

Richard in NC said:
1. Already answered. Probably normal to most M5s.
2. My 99 540i had a louder engine fan than my '02 M5. This might be normal but it only was loud after idling in traffic in summer heat. The '02 seems to run more but is quieter.
3. The is a lot of mechanical noise at idle (timing chains, VANOS, etc). The high RPM sounds make me want to do it over and over. Engine/exhaust noise on acceleration fits the car (more than a Lexus, less than a Corvette). A 2000 I drove did have more exhaust noise than my '02.
4. I've thought the brakes to be a bit soft a top but nicely progressive and plenty for a 4000lb car. I think the brake assist only kicks in above 50mph. It seems to take less pedal effort to slow from 80 than from 40.
5 & 6. Already answered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts