BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I've been an E36 guy for the past 6 years or so. Currently own a Supercharged 99 Alpine White M3 that I try to take the track whenever I can. This week I picked up a 2001 M5 Carbon Black w/ Black Interior with 128,000 miles that I plan to DD (lol right) and take on roadtrips and whatnot.

Off the bat I knew this car wasn't in perfect condition but very very clean inside and out. Problems I identified off the bat were a missing navigation computer, dead pixels (of course), warm A/C, left-rear window doesn't roll down, sunroof needs help closing, and a P0492 secondary injection code. I like to wrench on most issues myself and these problems in particular weren't of much concern to me so I took the plunge for a pretty good price. My real concern lies in something more major that I haven't identified yet, but no signs are pointing in that direction. The car drives great. Engine idles nice and quiet with steady RPMs. Some suspension components may need a little refreshing but these are also no big deal to me.

I've already changed the serpentine belt as it was visibly cracked and I plan on doing an oil change today and a coolant flush on the weekend along with all the other standard tune-up jobs (spark plugs, air filters, etc). I plan to replace the factory nav with an AVIN Android unit ASAP. I also want to get rid of the woodgrain trim for some carbon fiber or aluminum. I've scheduled an appointment to have a local indi shop do a full inspection on the car just to see what I'm working with.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello as I will be frequenting these forums a lot! I'm open to any advice you guys have to offer as far as maintaining these cars go. I'd like to hear about any common problems I should be looking out for around the 130k mark as I plan to keep this car running and reliable for many years. Also any advice for the problems I've already identified would be sweet too :)

I snapped these pics the day I bought her... I'll take some more when she gets a good detail :)

Nice to meet y'all,
Justin

Reactions: getiton

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the club! :wave

Those angel eyes are an odd color, someone must of changed the bulb.

How would you compare the power and handling to the supercharged e36?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Welcome!

You're sled is in good company.

:cool2:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I spy an Alpine White E36 M3! Welcome and congrats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome and might I add, nice garage! Those all yours? I do hope your code isn't a clogged port in the head and you got it at a damn good deal

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and might I add, nice garage! Those all yours? I do hope your code isn't a clogged port in the head and you got it at a damn good deal
If this is the case it's an emissions issue that can be solved with a software tune right?

Could that issue affect performance? It pulls really hard.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the club! :wave

Those angel eyes are an odd color, someone must of changed the bulb.

How would you compare the power and handling to the supercharged e36?
The power goes to the M5. My s/c M3 puts down about 300 whp @ 6psi. it feels really quick but doesn't have nearly as much torque as the M5. The handling goes to the M3 for sure. It's much lighter and has a quicker steering response. The M5 definitely feels heavy in the turns but also handles very well in it's own right.

Overall I'm really happy to have two contrasting cars as they'll each serve their own purpose really well :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes to the first, no to the second.

Where in the Bay Area are you located?
I live in Castro Valley and I'll be commuting this beast to Sunnyvale every day.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice new beast and welcome to the club...just joined myself with my LMB '02 Beast 2 weeks ago. Nice to see the E36 M3 in the background--and get why you supercharged it given the de-tuned versions those models well. The E39 M5 is perfect just as-is...IMO

·
Registered
529 Posts
...Anyways, just wanted to say hello as I will be frequenting these forums a lot! I'm open to any advice you guys have to offer as far as maintaining these cars go. I'd like to hear about any common problems I should be looking out for around the 130k mark as I plan to keep this car running and reliable for many years. Also any advice for the problems I've already identified would be sweet too :)
Congrats. I bought mine a year ago (MY '00) with similar mileage/condition. For me it's been a replacing bushings party under the car. Alot of the rubber bits hitting the end of their lifespan. Coming from your e36 though, you'll be right at home! Your new M5 has a good home, good for both of you. :cheers:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'd shoot myself if I had to make that commute daily... how about a Tesla, save the M for weekends?
I know, I must have a thing for torture or something right? The commute as it stands is quite grueling. Half of it is not so bad as I take some twisties (Palomares road) from Castro Valley to Fremont but then the hell begins. I'm starting a really really early shift soon so it should be a nice leisurely commute from then on.

Nice new beast and welcome to the club...just joined myself with my LMB '02 Beast 2 weeks ago. Nice to see the E36 M3 in the background--and get why you supercharged it given the de-tuned versions those models well. The E39 M5 is perfect just as-is...IMO
Agreed! I'm not used to this much power under the hood.

Congrats. I bought mine a year ago (MY '00) with similar mileage/condition. For me it's been a replacing bushings party under the car. Alot of the rubber bits hitting the end of their lifespan. Coming from your e36 though, you'll be right at home! Your new M5 has a good home, good for both of you. :cheers:
Haha. You're correct in that I'm well experienced with having bushing parties because of my E36. Right away I'm positive the front control (thrust?) arm bushings are shot as I get the steering wheel wobble on light braking. I'm looking forward to getting under the car for the first time as I've never had the pleasure of working on a 5 series before :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts