BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Hello, new B7 owner new to this board

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  kees 
#1 ·
Hello all;
I just picked up a 2008 B7 in Alpina Blue with rear entertainment, rear air bags, active cruise control, night vision, HD radio and hard wired V-1 with remote display in the ash tray. This is my fourth E65/E66, I am new to this board but have been a 7 year regular on road fly. This Alpina came as an unexpected surprise as I usally plan and build all of my cars, the lease on my 06 was up and I was holding out for the new F01/F02 body style and did not want a #4 of the same thing for another 2 years. I love the e65/66 but after 7 years I was ready for something else. This car was sitting at my dealer and I saw it as something different. I was really worried about the color since I have always had titanium silver or sterling gray. I procrastinated for a week, but finally decided to take it. What a car, wow… I was worried about the ride with the 21’s and the sport suspension but this thing rides better than my 2006 LWB with rim style 101 20”s and is quieter to. The acceleration is mind blowing, especially from 60 to 100 but at low speeds in the city it is a civil as a regular 7er. I now love the color as it is rare and changes with the light; it’s truly a one off car. Since I have been a BMW fan my whole life I have known about Alpina but never realized what a special car it is. I found this board last week as I was searching to read all I can about this great machine.
I will take my time and read all the old threads but anything the members can share with me would be greatly appreciated. The only disappointed I have for this car after one week is the lack of exhaust rumble or sound for such a beast. It’s almost silent.

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #10 ·
Darn logic 7 was to loud..

I think you are wrong on the exhaust note...it's just not so obvious from inside the car. But here is a video with sound clips of the B5 Touring (same engine as the B7) back to back with a E55 AMG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTXmMcCLhU
(gets interesting after 40 seconds)
You were right, between the logic 7 sound on 9/10s and the great job they did with keeping road noise out with the windows closed I was missing the roar. I enjoyed the video as well.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Hardwire method for V1

The V1 is mounted with suction cups on the passenger side of the rear view mirror squeezed between the mirror and the headliner. The power cord is secured to the light cluster, tucked in the headliner and run down the A pillar to under the glove box. The power is tied into the auxiliary plug in the foot well. The wire for the concealed display runs under the center console and up through the bottom of the ash tray. The display is Velcro into the ashtray. The cover still slides closed.
I will post a photo of the display in the B7, the photo of the V1 by the mirror is from my 06.

Welcome BW. I two recently picked up my 2008 B7 - about two weeks ago. Mine is Alpina Blue, with Cream Beige interior, with rear entertainment, rear airbags, night vision, and HD radio. The only option I did not get was the active cruise control. Thus far, I only have 220 miles on the car.

One question: how did you hardwire your V1? Where do you have the unit mounted. I have my V1 mounted on the passenger sun visor with the power cable (phone line) running down the A pillar, through the glove box and the stealth display plugged into the ashtray lighter.

Truly a wonderul car.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.