BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here..

Proud owner of a 93` Petrol Mica 3.8L

Would like to install a chip.. any recommendations from a fellow 3.8L owner??

:cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: Hello all.

Welcome to the board NHM5! :cheers:

I'm sure you will learn a lot from this very helpful community!
Petrol Mica must be a rare individual color, right? I hadn't heard about it before, but found a nice-looking E46 M3 in that color when searching Google.

Be careful with chipping the 3.8 engine. Lean mixture caused by some chips have resulted in damaged engines with melted pistons. I find the 3.8 excellent in stock condition, whereas a chip giving the 3.6 a bit more mid-range power could be nice if it's a good one. There are several threads dealing with chip-tuning, and I'm sure you can get some info from those with more experience about this.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

Welcome!

I would highly recommend getting a remap done using a unichip is you must chip it.

Generic chips aren't going to be accurate because every car is different in terms of its requirement for fuel. Different cars will have different amount of wear etc.

A custom remap will meet the exact needs of your engine in its current state.

You will be guaranteed to get as near as possible to perfect fuelling (this is subject to the person doing the mapping knowing what he is doing).

Be very careful with the 3.8L because as we all know, they can be a bit fragile even in stock form.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hey, thanks for the info guys.. Sounds like a chip isn`t the best idea.
for the 3.8L.. Melted pistons don`t sound like much fun...

As for the color.. Yes it is rare.. I just found out myself about the color...

The original owner bought the "individual" package I guess. (or just the paint??) It just says "Sonderlack" under the bonnet. Cream leather for the interior.. I will try to post some pics soon.. I had to contact the original owner to get the info.
It really looks great, and has a green tint to it in the light due to the pearlcolor.. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

NHM5, compliment's on the car, look's fantastic obviously not been subject to sitting behind too many truck's on the motorway from the lack of paint chips. Hope you enjoy the car and this forum - there's lots of good information here although you do have to have a good search to find some things. www.bmwe34m5.com is also very handy if you haven't found it already.

Phil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congratulations to a great looking, mint-condition M5! I love the color combination and the cream leather looks superb.
What rims are on the car? Do the red seatbelts suggest that this is one of the limited-edition models (Cecetto/20 Jahre?) or could they be ordered on all cars?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. J said:
Congratulations to a great looking, mint-condition M5! I love the color combination and the cream leather looks superb.
What rims are on the car? Do the red seatbelts suggest that this is one of the limited-edition models (Cecetto/20 Jahre?) or could they be ordered on all cars?
Thanks for the positive feedback
:cheers:

the wheels are made by Racing Dynamics, and are not OEM..
The seatbelts are BMW "Motorsport" belts, and were an available
option.. just like the "Motorsport" doorhandles.. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Very nice looking car. The light interior, although a ***** to keep clean I bet, looks nice in the dark colored car.

I think 3.8's get a bad rap personally and it's likely the result of abuse. In my 3.8 that I purchased in March with 51K miles, I had heard that many of them take a beating at the Autobahn speeds (my car came from Germany to the US) and the owners do not always let the oil temps come up all the way before winding it out, or put crappy gas in the car. The rod bearings are thinner on a 3.8 as I understand it and that is where the abuse can be seen. I had the rod bearings replaced in my M5 as soon as I got it and sure enough, they were in poor shape. Here are the pics again for those that did not see them last time.

http://www.e12m535i.com/E34_M5/images/rod_bearings/

If you know someone who is an S38 guru (as I do here in Chicago, luckily) have them do the rod bearing job for you. As long as there is no crank damage or excessive wear, it's a swap job but a pain since you have to drop the subframe, support the motor from above, pull the oil pan, and do it from underneath. Like I said, not a job for an amateur S38 mechanic.

I'm also running the Landzer chip in my 3.8 and I'm happy with the performance improvement.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's nice mate, very very clean. If only mine had been that well cared for before i bought it :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Fantastic colour!! I think that is the most beatiful colour on a BMW - and the interiour!!!!phew!

flipwils11:
funny, I got my rod bearings replaced at 190000kms (~115k miles) and there was no obvious signs of damage or unusual wear.....

Sakke

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Welcome aboard. The car looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DrSakke said:
Welcome to the board!
Fantastic colour!! I think that is the most beatiful colour on a BMW - and the interiour!!!!phew!

flipwils11:
funny, I got my rod bearings replaced at 190000kms (~115k miles) and there was no obvious signs of damage or unusual wear.....

Sakke

Thanks for the advice to all.. I`ll keep the rod bearings in mind..
Although, the car only has about 55,000 Kilometers on the ticker so far..
I would like to add a little performance, but I don`t want to accelerate
any wear and tear.. I`ll just take my time with it.. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
45 Posts
let me also welcome you. although i may not be exactly new to the board, i don't visit or post terribly often.

congratulations on the car. it is a beauty! here's to many, many miles of pleasure and minimal pain. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts