BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I installed the Hella Celis retrofit kit on my 2000 M5. I have now discovered they are leaking into the trunk area. As far as I can tell, I have done everything correctly on the install. The special washer is installed correcty, and the holes have been drilled large enough to allow correct seating of the light assembly. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Todd said:
A while back I installed the Hella Celis retrofit kit on my 2000 M5. I have now discovered they are leaking into the trunk area. As far as I can tell, I have done everything correctly on the install. The special washer is installed correcty, and the holes have been drilled large enough to allow correct seating of the light assembly. Any input is appreciated.
Is the leak on both lights?

Did you not get a 'gasket' with them? They should have come with a spongy/dynaprene looking gasket with one sided tape I believe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cosioboy said:
Is the leak on both lights?

Did you not get a 'gasket' with them? They should have come with a spongy/dynaprene looking gasket with one sided tape I believe.
I believe it is only the right side light. The gasket did come pre-installed on the lamp assembly.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Todd said:
I believe it is only the right side light. The gasket did come pre-installed on the lamp assembly.
OK, so if you have the gasket things out to be good. Make sure the bolts are wel fastened, but do NOT fasten them too much, as they are plastic and literally can snap.

I imagine you started getting this problem once you installed the new Celis tail lights, yeah? Hopefully that is the case, because if you had a 'chronic' leak problem (either in the tail lights or in the trunk), that is usually a sign of a sloppy body shop work (i.e. and the car has been involved in an accident). Likely not the case with you, but just something to be aware of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts