BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hej Everyone i just bought a BMW m6 e63 coupe from 2008 with 61000km.
Everything i start the car when Its cold it make a ticking noise and as the car get hot the sound goes away is there anyone Who can tell me wht it Can be?
Thanks a million
Regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’d recommend trying to narrow down the location by opening the hood and listening closely or by using a stethoscope or even a piece of metal long enough to touch different areas of the engine to you ear like a 3/8th extension. Touch to both valve covers, etc.

These engines are notorious for VANOS issues and that’s a good place to start as well. There’s a lot of info on this forum related to such. Ticking sound could be not enough oil getting to the VANOS gears because of either the VANOS pump, high pressure hose, or solenoid valves (there’s 4 total valves) you can rule out pump/hose by checking the VANOS oil pressure but recommended you have an indy shop do the test or figure out how to make the tool to check it yourself by searching this forum or youtube.

Are you sure the noise goes away with the engine warm or just harder to hear over the fan? I also just bought an ‘07 e63 and have a ticking sound, most noticeable after cold start. My first thought was valve tap but with 40k miles that’s not likely. I have no check engine light but after running VANOS diagnostics using DIS I found the intake solenoid valve adjustment time over spec on bank 2 even after bleeding the VANOS several times. I haven’t replaced the valve yet but planning too very soon and hoping that fixes it.

Also, If you plan on working on this car yourself I strongly recommend getting a K CAN cable and software from somewhere like https://www.cable-shack.co.uk/ (I have no affiliation just positive results) to give yourself dealer level diagnostic tools, an obdII reader is simply not enough.

-Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
Joe Naaasty
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing