BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a "bad habit" of heel & toeing whatever I downshift, even coming to a stop light. I picked up this habit when I was driving my 3rd gen RX-7 with metallic clutch, it was the only way to downshift without burning out the clutch.

I just wonder, how bad does that extra step of gas affect my gas mileage in a long run? I'm getting about 350 - 400km (217 - 248 miles) per full tank of gas under normal driving, and I'd say it's about 70% city and 30% highway. The car has only 26000km on it and recently been serviced so it should be running pretty good. What is the gas mileage you guys are getting???

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Although it isnt in an M5, I heel and toe my Jetta around town and get about 400 miles on 14 gallons. My friend has a Jetta 5spd too, accelerates etc the same but doesnt rev match or heel and toe to downshift, and he gets around the same. I think the difference is really slight, if you can even notice it. My guess is two good runs through first gear would burn the same amount of gas as heel and toeing from a given tank size.
:cheers:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think that works out to about 12-14 mpg, which is exactly the same range that I get, although I don't downshift coming into stop lights. My city to highway ratio is about the same as yours.

On another board a bunch of people were posting 16-18mpg gas mileage, but I only got about 15.5mpg on a recent 300 mile highway trip. I do have the Dinan software, however, and I've always attributed my poorer than average mileage to the increased throttle response and higher rev limit (which I have a tendancy to hit every now and then
).

Larry's M5 said:
I had a "bad habit" of heel & toeing whatever I downshift, even coming to a stop light. I picked up this habit when I was driving my 3rd gen RX-7 with metallic clutch, it was the only way to downshift without burning out the clutch.

I just wonder, how bad does that extra step of gas affect my gas mileage in a long run? I'm getting about 350 - 400km (217 - 248 miles) per full tank of gas under normal driving, and I'd say it's about 70% city and 30% highway. The car has only 26000km on it and recently been serviced so it should be running pretty good. What is the gas mileage you guys are getting???

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
WannaM5 said:
On another board a bunch of people were posting 16-18mpg gas mileage, but I only got about 15.5mpg on a recent 300 mile highway trip. I do have the Dinan software, however, and I've always attributed my poorer than average mileage to the increased throttle response and higher rev limit (which I have a tendancy to hit every now and then
).
How you drive affects mileage, but if you are cruising in top gear, even at 80 mph, I would expect 18-20 mpg. Car is rated 13/21.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would not expect heel and toe downshifting to have any significant impact on gas mileage. The reason is that when you are doing heel and toe, there is essentially no load on the engine. Throttle Position + Engine RPM + Load determines gas mileage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

You have almost the exact same mpg as me - works out to about 16.5 mpg (15 gallon tank therefore mpg = miles per tank/15) I dont heel and toe but I do roughly the same 30% motorway - 70% city...

Cheers

Travis

·
10,455 Posts
I'm pretty sure the M5 has a larger tank than 15 gallons (even those funny imperial gallons!). I've put in nearly 17 US gallons during a re-fueling.

Oh, and my mpg averages around 13.5-14, city/rural mix about 70/30, rare highway driving.
Mike

dopamine said:
Hi,

You have almost the exact same mpg as me - works out to about 16.5 mpg (15 gallon tank therefore mpg = miles per tank/15) I dont heel and toe but I do roughly the same 30% motorway - 70% city...

Cheers

Travis

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mottati said:
I'm pretty sure the M5 has a larger tank than 15 gallons (even those funny imperial gallons!). I've put in nearly 17 US gallons during a re-fueling.

Oh, and my mpg averages around 13.5-14, city/rural mix about 70/30, rare highway driving.
Mike
Mike,
I think it's 18 gallons...well, I HOPE it's 18, because I've put close to 18 gallons in it once or twice (don't ask). I'll have to see if I can find that receipt and post a pic of it...

Oh, and my driving is 90% hwy, 10% city, and I get about 17. Lifetime average is 17.1 after 29k miles.

:cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Mottati,

My manual says it is 70 Litres or 15.4 Imp Gallons... didn't realise there were different types of gallon. Seems there are three different types of gallon: UK (4.55 litre), US Liquid (3.79 litre) and US Dry (4.4 litre). Not confusing at all! :S This would mean you have about 18.5 US Gallons assuming you have the same 70 litre tanks as the european M5...

It is a bit annoying that in the UK we measure consumption in MPG but the pumps display the fuel input in Litres!

BTW Is Walnut Creek near Blackhawk? The name rings a bell from when my folks lived over there.

Cheers

Travis

mottati said:

Mike

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys, with the gas price shooting thru the roof, I really need to watch my gas mileage lol, over here, a full tank of gas costs about US$110 :p

And Dopamine, Walnut Creek is in CA about 1 hr from San Francisco. My US office is there and I used to lived in Santa Rosa :p

·
Registered
480 Posts
dopamine said:
BTW Is Walnut Creek near Blackhawk? The name rings a bell from when my folks lived over there.
Travis
Yes, Blackhawk is in Danville, which is about 15 minutes from Walnut Creek.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I seriously doubt a heel & toe downshift or any type of downshift prior to coming to a stop would affect gas mileage much at all. Its just a short moments within the whole drive. Mileage is more affected by driving type and style. I downshift prior to a stop all the time but must baby the car more than most. I average 19 mpg with 50/50 city/highway getting 23 per highway tank and 16-17 per tank around town. I've also gotten 9 mpg on the track. BTW, it is an 18.5 US gallon tank. I don't know if that includes the 2 gallon reserve but I've put 17 1/2 gallons in and showed 12 miles left on the computer.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Richard in NC said:
BTW, it is an 18.5 US gallon tank. I don't know if that includes the 2 gallon reserve but I've put 17 1/2 gallons in and showed 12 miles left on the computer.
My best fill is 18.8 gallons!! I assume the filler pipe holds some fuel because I had some miles left on the computer also. Tank size usually includes the reserve amount.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts