BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve got the auto A/C heating system in my car and find that the heating is really not very good.

It was pretty cold this morning, -4C and I found that even after a 45 minute drive with the fan on full and temp set at it’s highest, it did not make the inside of the car hot enough that would warrant turning down either the fan speed or the temp, which was pretty disappointing.

I had the electric water pump replaced earlier in the year so I would assume that this is alright, I can actually hear it running with the engine shut down. Apart from this is there anywhere else I should be looking, the matrix, is it possible that I should have the micro-filter replaced, as I have heard that it can seriously affect air flow, sounds obvious…
When I had my 525, after 10 minutes or so with full heat and fan speed, it got to the point that I would have to turn down either the temp’ or the fan speed as it got too stuffy inside the car, but this is certainly not the case with my M. My 525 did not have the auto A/C that my M has, could this be a reason, would doubt it though…

I’m curious what you guys think of our cars in this department before I go having a new heater matrix fitted etc.

BTW: Temp is all normal, ie water temp sits bang in the center and oil temp reaches just short of the section to the left of half way...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
plisken said:
I’ve got the auto A/C heating system in my car and find that the heating is really not very good.

It was pretty cold this morning, -4C and I found that even after a 45 minute drive with the fan on full and temp set at it’s highest, it did not make the inside of the car hot enough that would warrant turning down either the fan speed or the temp, which was pretty disappointing.

I had the electric water pump replaced earlier in the year so I would assume that this is alright, I can actually hear it running with the engine shut down. Apart from this is there anywhere else I should be looking, the matrix, is it possible that I should have the micro-filter replaced, as I have heard that it can seriously affect air flow, sounds obvious…
When I had my 525, after 10 minutes or so with full heat and fan speed, it got to the point that I would have to turn down either the temp’ or the fan speed as it got too stuffy inside the car, but this is certainly not the case with my M. My 525 did not have the auto A/C that my M has, could this be a reason, would doubt it though…

I’m curious what you guys think of our cars in this department before I go having a new heater matrix fitted etc.

BTW: Temp is all normal, ie water temp sits bang in the center and oil temp reaches just short of the section to the left of half way...
I have the same problem. The only way I can get heat into the car is using the windscreen only setting. That the seems to use whatever temp is set on the climate control, so if its 24+ I get hot air, 22 - I get cold air. I cannot get hot air from any other vent!!!!!!!!!

I also assume something is up and like you had a pretty chilly start to the day!!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm-Five said:
Hot air from any vent except the one on the rear of the centre console!

Me too but it just doesn't seem to be particularly hot, I mean you can feel that it is hot but it certainly does not get stuffy in the car the way some lesser models/makes do.

I know I could just have the matrix changed and possibly a few other things, but I would not wish to do to that hassle/expense if it were not going to improve things.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I sometimes drive along in winter with the heater on full, and the window down - just for the fun of it!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
I sometimes drive along in winter with the heater on full, and the window down - just for the fun of it!
You sure you haven't got a fake M5 like the ones you keep pointing out on eBay??

I've heard the heating systems on the 525i were very good!!!!

hmmm

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
You sure you haven't got a fake M5 like the ones you keep pointing out on eBay??

I've heard the heating systems on the 525i were very good!!!!

hmmm
It's probably an auto 540 diesel :cool2: !

Don't forget that I got my aircon fixed earlier in the year, so it's probably that which gave me good hot air!

I even get frost on the windscreen in summer :hihi:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
plisken said:

My heater ( not climate control ) is also not giving any heat to speak of. I'm down south so not as crucial as in Scotland but still a pisser. A mechanic friend of mine suggests that this could well be sediment in the heater system ( similiar to Jags , also a polite way of saying s**t in the system. ). When I have the time I'm going to try and get this sorted but I understand this is not unusual for the E34 ( in contrast to my previous 325i which we now use to cook chickens ). Any comments from anyone who has managed to fix this would be more than welcome. Ilundbeer, if you are reading any of this I did the bits you suggested and my system worked OK last year but this fall it isn't so good.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My heater is so efficient that I've had the car made into a convertible as opening the windows wasn't enough to cool it down.... :1:

I just changed the micro filter and it's made a hell of a difference to air flow and the whole system seems more efficient (as you'd expect.....) and the hot is very hot, heats the car in about 10 mins.

Then I take the top down :hihi:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
London Mike said:
My heater is so efficient that I've had the car made into a convertible as opening the windows wasn't enough to cool it down.... :1:

I just changed the micro filter and it's made a hell of a difference to air flow and the whole system seems more efficient (as you'd expect.....) and the hot is very hot, heats the car in about 10 mins.

Then I take the top down :hihi:
How much did it cost to get the micro filter done?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I did it myself, about £27 from BMW (but you can get generics for just under £20) and about 30 minutes work to fit it. If I had to do it again it would take 20 mins. It IS a bit of a pain in the *** to change, being down inside the drivers footwell on the left, but you can do it without too much drama. My air flow was terrible before, now even on the '1' position I can feel air flow on my face from the centre vent even when all 3 sliders are across to the right.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
London Mike said:
I did it myself, about £27 from BMW (but you can get generics for just under £20) and about 30 minutes work to fit it. If I had to do it again it would take 20 mins. It IS a bit of a pain in the *** to change, being down inside the drivers footwell on the left, but you can do it without too much drama. My air flow was terrible before, now even on the '1' position I can feel air flow on my face from the centre vent even when all 3 sliders are across to the right.
So on a left hooker, what side would it be on??

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
hahahahaha, it's easy. Don't undertake it if you don't feel confident, but it really isn't too hard, fiddly rather than difficult (although you will need a torx drive)

£100 to you then Sir, at your local BMW stealership.... grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
London Mike said:
hahahahaha, it's easy. Don't undertake it if you don't feel confident, but it really isn't too hard, fiddly rather than difficult (although you will need a torx drive)

£100 to you then Sir, at your local BMW stealership.... grrrrrrr
what would you charge?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts