BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - here's a question for everyone in the northern colder climates.
I have been trying to adjust my heat manual program.
Do you remember the older 5 series and some other newer models that have the circular dial that controls the hot/cold air coming out ot the center vent aimed at your upper body and face?
Well as you all know, this car has lost that great feature.
However, the manual explains it can be adjusted via iDrive in the Climate section under programs.
I'm having difficulty getting it to set properly.
In addition, I'd like to adjust the heat to be more on my feet.
Any good suggestions?
Thanx guys.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Bret, isn't there a slide bar system in the idrive ??...you can't split the heat intensity between upper and lower just the amount of blow to each area, am i right in my thinking of what your asking??

·
Registered
800 Posts
yup, go to the idrive to adjust. For the first month of ownership I couldn't figure out why it would take 30 minutes for my car to get cool. Then I realized that the idrive vent settings were all turned down.
The menu in the idrive seems to be a nice feature as it allows you to precisely set the amount of air flow desired.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Air flow vs air temperature

The Why-Drive settings adjust airflow at different levels but cooler air always seems to blow out of the upper dash vents. Wish there was a way to get the same temperature out of all vents.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bret, isn't there a slide bar system in the idrive ??...you can't split the heat intensity between upper and lower just the amount of blow to each area, am i right in my thinking of what your asking??
Yes - you are correct. There is a slide bar you can increase and decrease the amount of blow to the head, middle and feet of your position.
There is also a + and - for hot to cold.
But I have not mastered the adjustment yet.
Just would like some feedback from others that have tried this.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
In addition, I'd like to adjust the heat to be more on my feet.
The E30 had a very elegant system that gave total control:
1. mechanical temperature knob connected to a engine coolant valve
2. 3 mechanical levers control air flow to top/middle/bottom
3. knob for fan speed
4. AC on/off switch
5. Recirculate on/off switch
Heat could easily be directed to your feet :)

New cars keep adding more and more levels of complex electronic control over what is a simple mechanical system :nono::confused3

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Yes - you are correct. There is a slide bar you can increase and decrease the amount of blow to the head, middle and feet of your position.
There is also a + and - for hot to cold.
But I have not mastered the adjustment yet.
Just would like some feedback from others that have tried this.
The amount of air can be adjusted using the sliders. The heat slider has some effect, but the system seems to be designed to mix more outside air through the middle vents. In cold weather the mid-level mix is colder than at the feet. All the adjustments and still can't regulate evenly.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The E30 had a very elegant system that gave total control:
1. mechanical temperature knob connected to a engine coolant valve
2. 3 mechanical levers control air flow to top/middle/bottom
3. knob for fan speed
4. AC on/off switch
5. Recirculate on/off switch
Heat could easily be directed to your feet :)

New cars keep adding more and more levels of complex electronic control over what is a simple mechanical system :nono::confused3
I could not agree more.
Thank you iDrive!!!!!
When is BMW going to lose iDrive!!!!!!!!!???????????

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I love i-Drive. I have had it in 3 of our cars so far and every year it gets better and better.

I have also owned a few e30 M3's and yes, the system is great, easy to fix and simple, the most advanced item in my e30 was the CD player.

iDrive just makes the complex world less complex; with blue tooth, navigation, Sat radio and other items such as Traffic info, iDrive is a must have.

I do miss the force feedback feature as it made it a bit easier to know what scetion you were in without looking at the screen.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Come on Guys, It is so easy to adjust the amount of heat coming over the centre vents.
Yes the Idrive is complecated for a lot of people, but it is a necessary piece of kit, once you master it's operation.
Don't forget, BMW invented it first and then Mercedes and Audi, Lexus etc, adopted their own I drive interpretations.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
The Why-Drive settings adjust airflow at different levels but cooler air always seems to blow out of the upper dash vents. Wish there was a way to get the same temperature out of all vents.
You can adjust the temperature of the upper dash vents (called upper body temperature adjust in your manual), just as easy as you can adjust the flow. It is completely flexible. Perhaps yours has been on a cooler setting for a long time?

BTW, this has been a BMW feature for many years and lets you not have to have hot air blowing in your face in the winter if you don't want it. It is a little more difficult to adjust since the iDrive.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
You can adjust the temperature of the upper dash vents (called upper body temperature adjust in your manual), just as easy as you can adjust the flow. It is completely flexible. Perhaps yours has been on a cooler setting for a long time?

BTW, this has been a BMW feature for many years and lets you not have to have hot air blowing in your face in the winter if you don't want it. It is a little more difficult to adjust since the iDrive.

I have studied the manuals and made the adjustments, the airflow from center vents is not the same temperature.

iDrive is a needlessly overengineered and complex system that performs simple tasks in a indirect and convoluted fashion. Controls that requires a driver to take eyes and attention from the road detract from the ultimate driver's machine. While driving the last thing I want to do is use a computer mouse and menu system. :grrrrr:

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
I have studied the manuals and made the adjustments, the airflow from center vents is not the same temperature.

iDrive is a needlessly overengineered and complex system that performs simple tasks in a indirect and convoluted fashion. Controls that requires a driver to take eyes and attention from the road detract from the ultimate driver's machine. While driving the last thing I want to do is use a computer mouse and menu system. :grrrrr:
Of course it is not the same temperature it is separately and purposely adjustable. Geesh....:grrrrr:

And you can make it exactly the same temperature if you want to.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Of course it is not the same temperature it is separately and purposely adjustable. Geesh....:grrrrr:

And you can make it exactly the same temperature if you want to.
What happened to 1 simple temperature control knob or slider?

My M5 is the only vehicle I've driven where the air coming from the dash level vents is noticeably colder than floor vents. After spending too much time reading the manuals and making control adjustments, I simply either aim them away or close them off.

Last time I was in my dealer's show room, a dejected couple decided to not purchase a new X5 when they learned it couldn't be ordered without Why-Drive.

The merits of this Rube Goldberg system can be debated endlessly, most people don't like it including me.

Reactions: bboomer

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Dylan Thomas, I saw this question and tried to answer by letting you know you can adjust the upper body air temperature to be the same as the other vents. You then argue and argue about so many things. Now, you talk about how much tou hate the i-Drive - is this still part of that axe you are trying to grind???

I was just trying to help...... :grrrr:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Dylan Thomas, I saw this question and tried to answer by letting you know you can adjust the upper body air temperature to be the same as the other vents. You then argue and argue about so many things. Now, you talk about how much tou hate the i-Drive - is this still part of that axe you are trying to grind???

I was just trying to help...... :grrrr:
snowball - No axe to grind. iDrive upper level air flow adjustments simply don't work on my M.

My general Why-Drive comments were agreeing with bboomer and Clyde. Don't make something personal when it's not, if in doubt, ask.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
snowball - No axe to grind. iDrive upper level air flow adjustments simply don't work on my M.

My general Why-Drive comments were agreeing with bboomer and Clyde. Don't make something personal when it's not, if in doubt, ask.
That's strange. Maybe we can meet sometime and I'll be glad to show you how to adjust them.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
That's strange. Maybe we can meet sometime and I'll be glad to show you how to adjust them.
Thanks for the offer but I've already adjusted everything there is to adjust. I'll make sure my next car is Why-Drive-less.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I've already adjusted everything there is to adjust. I'll make sure my next car is Why-Drive-less.
That's good that you got them adjusted.

Glad to see you'll get away from iDrive, not a bad idea. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts