BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR SOME REASON IM ONLY GETTING HOT HAIR BLOWING AND NO COLD?? ANY SUGGESTION ON WHAT COULD BE WRONG?? MY CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT INSIDE THE CAR SEEMS TO BE OK HASN'T HAD ANY ABUSE

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Is the dial between the two air vents in the middle of the dash spun all the way up so you see 3 blue dots:confused2

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beamer_usa said:
Is the dial between the two air vents in the middle of the dash spun all the way up so you see 3 blue dots:confused2

The vent in the middle is not the problem. You always get cold air from that vent when you have the blue dots showing even with the heating on, unless you turn it till its showing red! the problem is, even with the heater unit turned right down to 16 (uk market) it always blows warm through all the vents??

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just a guess, but the cabin air filter boxes, located in the engine compartment, pull outside air in from the back of the front hood, where the windshield meets. If the filter boxes are not properly closed, air from the engine compartment enters, and is quite warm...

Does the A/C unit kick in?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not any of those problems either guys, the air boxes are fine and secure, even with the AC on and right down to the lowest temp it still blows hot air!!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
How about a coolant recharge?

:cheers:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is the A/C compressor turning? Make sure the electromagnetic clutch is actuating. If it's turning, then check A/C coolant lines for pressure with a refrigerant gauge. That should narrow down the problem area.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not any of those problem either?? because it doesn't matter if the AC is on or just running in normal mode because the air is still warm either way and yes coolant is fine too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sudesh, I had the same problem on a previous M3...made for a miserable trip from Boston to NJ let me tell you. Turns out the heater control unit wasn't working properly and was only blowing out streams of very HOT air...no matter what the setting in the cabin. Dealer replaced entire unit...

On the M5 I had the heater relay (or some such thing) malfunction and so the fan speed was all over the place...I thought the car was possessed!! That was replaced after a couple trips to the dealer...cause they couldn't replicate (of course)!

Some of the ideas mentioned were pretty good, but if none of those things pan out, I'm almost sure it's something internal to the system.

Best regards,

·
Registered
313 Posts
Had similar problem in that the unit produced only cold air until you set the temps to "really hot". Then hot air came out and you adjusted the temp back to acceptable. A real bummer in the winter. It took months and they finally ended up replacing nearly all the climate control parts........out of warranty of course.

Cost a lot.....get an extended warranty. I spent $11,000 on repairs (not service and maintaince) since my warranty expired at 36,000 miles. I now have 96,000. That's about $1700/10,000 miles!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same issue. My problem was that both vent pipes that lead from the filter boxes to the firewall weren't inserted into to the locking rings on the firewall properly. I took both pipes off the filter boxes, twisted them onto the firewall properly, and put it back together. Have had no problems since...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks For the help guys! On a few trips now to a BMW Specalist it seems that the actual climate unit inside the car or the heater matrix under the bonnet could be faulty so going have them replaced to see how it goes. If it doesnt work I'll be back looking for more advise!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I once was on a air trip in a Piper Archer II plane piloted by my uncle. The heater had locked itself to full heat, and it was in the middle of the summer. Lots of glass on those planes, lots of sunshine outside, and lots of sweat inside.

David

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
DavidS said:
I once was on a air trip in a Piper Archer II plane piloted by my uncle. The heater had locked itself to full heat, and it was in the middle of the summer. Lots of glass on those planes, lots of sunshine outside, and lots of sweat inside.

David
Oh David, I feel your pain. Flying out in AZ in the summer time gets a little toasty too, even when the heater is off. Worst yet is the Pipers I'm in right now are like the Archer; only one door, and the guy sitting right seat gets to open it on the gorund and enjoy the breeze. I have a window I can hardly stick my hand through. At least it is usually colder up during cruise. I say usually because on a trip to Nevada to go gambling on last Friday it was still 14C outside at 9pm, at 10500'...sheesh. It only got warmer on the way down...
:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts