BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heater/AC blower doesn't seem to be working. Based on my searching it looked like I needed to replace the final stage unit, which I did and was so amazingly easy to do (5 minute job at the most). (And during some research I had been quoted by two shops that it would be 3.5 hours to change. (Car Tender and Precision Motorworks). Nothing has really changed. Occasionally it will seem like a tiny tiny bit of air is blowing out, but most of the time nothing.

All the lights on the climate control center seem to work. I can see that the bars indicating the blower speed seem to be trying to work. I don't see any blown fuses in my glove compartment fuse box. When I change temperature settings I can hear all sorts of motors changing where the air goes, turning on the AC, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to go next? I suppose it could be the blower fan, but before I change that which looks like a pretty decent project, I want to check all other avenues.

Thanks, (and thanks for all the help you've already provided, oh, and all the help I still have yet to ask for but most definitely will).
Sebastian

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
My heater/AC blower doesn't seem to be working. Based on my searching it looked like I needed to replace the final stage unit, which I did and was so amazingly easy to do (5 minute job at the most). (And during some research I had been quoted by two shops that it would be 3.5 hours to change. (Car Tender and Precision Motorworks). Nothing has really changed. Occasionally it will seem like a tiny tiny bit of air is blowing out, but most of the time nothing.

All the lights on the climate control center seem to work. I can see that the bars indicating the blower speed seem to be trying to work. I don't see any blown fuses in my glove compartment fuse box. When I change temperature settings I can hear all sorts of motors changing where the air goes, turning on the AC, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to go next? I suppose it could be the blower fan, but before I change that which looks like a pretty decent project, I want to check all other avenues.

Thanks, (and thanks for all the help you've already provided, oh, and all the help I still have yet to ask for but most definitely will).
Sebastian

Not trying to be a [email protected], but are you sure you did it correctly? 5 minutes is a little quick, although I guess if you are practiced you can get it done. Did you get the electrical connector to seat?

I don't know if the GT1 can identify a bad final stage resister, you might ask the BMW SA or tech if it can be diagnosed before spending any money.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I might have missed a step, but here is what I did:

1) Remove the screw that holds the carpet pad on the left side of the passenger footwell area. Then pull back/off that panel.

2) Remove the plastic cover under the glovebox to help access.

3) Unplug Final Stage connector, then removal Final Stage and replace/reconnect.

4) Put everything back.

Is there something else that needs to be done?

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
Well I might have missed a step, but here is what I did:

1) Remove the screw that holds the carpet pad on the left side of the passenger footwell area. Then pull back/off that panel.

2) Remove the plastic cover under the glovebox to help access.

3) Unplug Final Stage connector, then removal Final Stage and replace/reconnect.

4) Put everything back.

Is there something else that needs to be done?
Well, you missed the part about lying upside down working on your back, but otherwise it sounds correct.:7:

If you are sure the electrical connector is seated correctly, it is possible you got a defective replacement. Try taking it back to the dealership claiming it is defective. Hopefully, they will either test or exchange for you.

The other possibility I can think of would be a bad fan motor. Perhaps someone else can think of other possibilities.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I had the compressor go bad on me but I don't think that is your problem. It is in the engine bay on the left hand side at the bottom with a belt attached to it just incase you want eye ball it to check the belt is go round.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Yes, but even with a bad compressor, air should still blow through the fans properly, just not cold. My guess would be a defective final stage resistor or a bad blower motor..

·
Registered
6,520 Posts

Sebastian
You have a bad blower. And guess what, it's going to suck to replace it.

How do I know? I have a blower that squeaks and I've been spending time with TIS trying to size up the replacement. You basically need to remove the dash, and it is a royal PITA.

d-

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I would imagine that changing that blower is a *****. I'd like to have some way to know for sure that is the problem. I suspect it is, based on my changing of the Final Stage. I'd just hate to change it and be wrong. At some point I guess I could consult a repair shop, but that would feel like some sick form of surrender.

On only a semi-related note, this car is pretty nice to work on. Parts are available, servicing it so hard hasn't been horrifically difficult (thanks mostly to this board). In fact, tomorrow I'm going to go balls out and change the clutch/flywheel/flex disk/rear main seal, etc. I'm Pretty excited. I'm going to do an after-the-fact analysis of my eBay car purchase after she's all sorted out and compare costs and issues and an overall number when I'm done. I'm also going to do the Bluetooth install from Bimmernav in the next couple weeks which should be pretty cool too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What was the solution????

I am having the same problem. When I turn on the climate control, all the buttons work fine and I can "hear" sounds like flaps moving, but no air flow.

1. I have read a few threads, but can't find the right fuse. Is is #76? and where is it? (okay, found it. remove the footwell panel and look up and under (one fuse is red, one orange)

2. Might it be the final stage resistor? (I am going down this path...)

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
223 Posts
You have a bad blower. And guess what, it's going to suck to replace it.

How do I know? I have a blower that squeaks and I've been spending time with TIS trying to size up the replacement. You basically need to remove the dash, and it is a royal PITA.

d-
Did you ever get this solved? If my blower is running at anything less than 100%, it rattles and chirps (it's cold here), especially when I am turning the car one direction - if I turn the other way the fans shuts up. Sounds like the bearings are going south in the fan or blower assy.

If you have any shortcuts or links to the removal of the dash, I'd really appreciate it if you could pass them on. I really don't want to trade rattle free nature of my dash for the "blower crickets", and don't want to break anything trying to figure out how to get the dash off...

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Did you ever get this solved? If my blower is running at anything less than 100%, it rattles and chirps (it's cold here), especially when I am turning the car one direction - if I turn the other way the fans shuts up. Sounds like the bearings are going south in the fan or blower assy.

If you have any shortcuts or links to the removal of the dash, I'd really appreciate it if you could pass them on. I really don't want to trade rattle free nature of my dash for the "blower crickets", and don't want to break anything trying to figure out how to get the dash off...

Cheers,
Jeff
No, I didn't. Mine still squeaks, but only in winter. So I just try turn the radio up ;)

Next summer I'll think about fixing it again, but will likely forget since it doesn't squeak in summer...

d-

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm sure I'll end up taking the same approach until it craps out for good (turn up the radio)...

·
Registered
2018 F82 M4 Competition in Silverstone Metallic II
3,337 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, BUT is it normal for the blower on the windshield to not operate at maximum speed until the engine temperature reaches a certain point? I push the windshield defrost button and the fan speed shows that it is at maximum, but there is little air that comes out initially. I looked in the manual to no avail.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, BUT is it normal for the blower on the windshield to not operate at maximum speed until the engine temperature reaches a certain point? I push the windshield defrost button and the fan speed shows that it is at maximum, but there is little air that comes out initially. I looked in the manual to no avail.
If you are talking about when you push the 'defrost' button, then it should go to high regardless of engine temp. (At least, that is what it does on both my X5 and M5, which have the same HVAC system)

Under normal operation, if you have the system set to AUTO, then it will turn up the blower speed as the engine warms up, so as to not blow a bunch of useless cold air in your face.

·
Registered
2018 F82 M4 Competition in Silverstone Metallic II
3,337 Posts
Oh boy :grrrrr: Then somethings not right. It will barely blow any air when I depress the button. Any ideas? :dunno:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Coincidentally, I just removed the dash on a wrecked 528i E39 on the weekend- its probably similar to the M5.

I have no experience in removing the dash out of these cars, and it took me a good three quarters of a day to strip everything out, without just yanking & breaking. I took the time to get it out without any breakages, and without a workshop manual.
I really dont recommend it though, as its as frustrating as hell unless you're flexible enough to lay on your back on the front seats, head under the dash with a flashlight in your mouth & ratchet in one hand.. Doug's right. It truly is a major PITA.. :mad:

(adding to the joy, was the fact that we have these things called 'Huntsman spiders' over here in Aus, which are bloody huge tarantula things- about 6 or 7 inches in leg diameter, and they love crawling up inside dash crevices & dying- I had 3 of them fall out on my face while I was under there. :eek:oohhh: I'm scarred for life now :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
Damn double post..

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Dave Zeckhausen once had a photo article on how to replace the e39 U.S. dash with a Euro version, but I can't find it on his site anymore. Maybe it's still up but the link no longer appears. Anyway, perhaps you could PM him, email or call and find it.

Reactions: Resinears

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oh boy :grrrrr: Then somethings not right. It will barely blow any air when I depress the button. Any ideas? :dunno:
could be a failure of the HVAC control unit.

Wait, does the blower motor speed increase when you push the button? As in it makes a bunch more noise but no air comes out?

or does nothing happen when pushing the button?

·
Registered
567 Posts
(adding to the joy, was the fact that we have these things called 'Huntsman spiders' over here in Aus, which are bloody huge tarantula things- about 6 or 7 inches in leg diameter, and they love crawling up inside dash crevices & dying- I had 3 of them fall out on my face while I was under there. :eek:oohhh: I'm scarred for life now :(

I almost walked into one of those things (at least I think it was a Huntsman, it was about the size of my hand) when in Noosa Heads. Damn thing had a web stretched out across the sidewalk and was hanging out at exactly face level. The nice young lady (who had very nice set of personalities) who was walking with me back from the bar happened to see it and pushed me away just prior to me walking into it. UGH. :eek:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts