BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Heated Windshield Wipers

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  M5_in_MD 
#1 · (Edited)
I seem to remember that heated windshield wipers are standard in the E39 M5. My SA says that they are not installed on my car and that they were optional.

Can someone confirm? Again, my recollection is that they are standard equipment (along with heated washer system and heated side view mirrors).

Also, how does BMW do heated wipers? Using heater wires in the windshield under the wipers when they are in the parked position?

Thanks!

Jeff cherrsagai

#2 ·
Re: Head Windshield Wipers

Heatd washers (and mirrors) are std and automatically work when temps are below 45F, never heard of the possibility of heated wipers though....

#3 ·
Re: Head Windshield Wipers

mottati said:
Heatd washers (and mirrors) are std and automatically work when temps are below 45F, never heard of the possibility of heated wipers though....
Mike. Thanks. ****! I guess I am getting delusional in my old age. I could swear I read/heard that the wipers were heated.

Thanks again.

Jeff cherrsagai

#4 ·
Technically, you could make heated windshield wipers, but what's the point? The windshield is what's icing up. Only benefit I would see is ensuring the wipers don't gum up with ice or stick to the windshield. The later would be really tough because you'd have to embed some sort of heating grid in the rubber wipers - an item you replace every year - and probably double the price in the process. ouich

Better idea is to do what they've done - use heated windshield washer fluid to clean more efficiently.

Cheers! :noSMG:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.