BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed with the cold weather that only the driver side mirror melted the snow are they both supposed to be heated? IF so any ideas why the passenger side would have stopped doing so?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Noticed with the cold weather that only the driver side mirror melted the snow are they both supposed to be heated? IF so any ideas why the passenger side would have stopped doing so?
You'll be able to tell if the heating is really working or not, they shuold both be on all the time, and mine are so hot that if you drive for 5 mins, you won't be able to touch the glass.

Does the electrical adjustment still work?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AndyE said:
I'll check......

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagrams, everything on both mirrors is powered at 15A fuse 12. If nothing's working on either mirror, check that first!!

Otherwise, selective parts of the mirrors which aren't working, presumably mean there's really a fault... :confused3

Having said that, the mirror heaters aren't excessively complicated, there are two wires which physically clip on to the back of the glass where there's a heated pad element. Presumably, there's no power to that. Perhaps dismantling the mirror will clarify.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just changed my mirrors. Non worked. Both heater elements were gone.
To remive the glass: Tilt the mirror upwards with a bit of force. Incert a screwdriver at the back of the glass and turn the "ring" a few centimetres to the left (I think). You can then remove the glass from the housing.
Assembly is the reverce but you need to align the ring on the galss with the female adapter in the housing or you may end up having the new mirror dangling in its cables while driving.

If you have heated mirrors, you most probably have heated washers as well. I had to change these too. I really appreciate the heating now whit it is so cold.

My glass was approx. € 90 for the left side (convex glass) and €85 for the right hand side (normal). Waskers were €30 each, I believe.

Cheers

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ilundber said:
I just changed my mirrors. Non worked. Both heater elements were gone.
To remive the glass: Tilt the mirror upwards with a bit of force. Incert a screwdriver at the back of the glass and turn the "ring" a few centimetres to the left (I think). You can then remove the glass from the housing.
Assembly is the reverce but you need to align the ring on the galss with the female adapter in the housing or you may end up having the new mirror dangling in its cables while driving.

If you have heated mirrors, you most probably have heated washers as well. I had to change these too. I really appreciate the heating now whit it is so cold.

My glass was approx. € 90 for the left side (convex glass) and €85 for the right hand side (normal). Waskers were €30 each, I believe.

Cheers
Just wanted to check if you have the same `knobbly` mirrors or the earlier ones and does it make any difference to disassembly?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AndyE said:

The motor still works ok so must be the heated pad.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Frank

replacement heated mirror lenses (including the wide angle one) are £25 +vat at GSF.

I'm not sure if they're blue though (I'm sure my mirror glass is blue).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts