BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I parked in a sassy way, just ahead of an Audi with a one of those “my car is cool” type vanity plates. Then I see the car’s owner is coming out to his car as I’m crossing the street. He starts his car then quickly comes around and pulls up beside me and rolls down his window. I though I might be in trouble for being a bit too flaunty. But instead he said he just had to stop to tell me how special the M5 is and that he was a former M3 owner that had to step back into an Audi because he was getting married. Then he shakes my hand and congratulates me for owning the car. I told him that I was very lucky indeed to have it.

And then just today, someone in an older BMW had parked right beside my M5 (I only allow other BMW’s to do that HA HA). He say me approach my car and turned back and said how much he loved that body style. Then he asked when I was going to sell it—I’m like, NEVER!!! :haha:

Makes me realize what a wonderful car the M5 truly is!!!!! And it’s cool of people to say nice things about them and appricaite them for what they are!! Everyone out there enjoy them, will you!!!

Anita

·
Registered
268 Posts
i get the same feedback. i was parrell parked in front of restaurant the other day, a couple of waiters came out to check the car out as i was approaching. i disengaged the alarm--and they both looked at me coming. one said --"what a sweet ride."

with so many great cars being made these days, the E39 M5 may not be the king of the hill anymore--but it still is a classic that set the mark for all the great sport sedans being made today. while it doesn't have the same power as the new generation of cars coming out--it is still a very well balanced car--great looks, good power, and superb handling (especially the way i have it dialed in with my engine and chassis mods).

i was toying with the idea of leasing a new MBZ E55 through my business to keep the miles low on my M5. i ran into an owner of a beautiful black E55 the other day. i commented on his car and asked if he gets a lot of comments on his car--he said, "unless they are a MBZ owner, almost never."

i get comments on my car almost daily. for some reason--people, especially the sub-40 age group--really appreciate and identify with the M5.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have to ask - how does one park in a "sassy" or "flaunty" way, and are there more, er. . . masculine derivatives of the technique? I've never given it much thought, but I guess if could park in a studly way I might try. Maybe there are even different techniques depending on mood and the occassion - festive for parties, sporty for games and forceful for the gym.

·
Registered
516 Posts
WannaM5 said:
I have to ask - how does one park in a "sassy" or "flaunty" way, and are there more, er. . . masculine derivatives of the technique? I've never given it much thought, but I guess if could park in a studly way I might try. Maybe there are even different techniques depending on mood and the occassion - festive for parties, sporty for games and forceful for the gym.
ROFLOL.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I like it when I get a thumbs up from a Subararu driver, or some other ricer. Kids seem to know these cars better than us older folk.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
s62fan said:
I like it when I get a thumbs up from a Subararu driver, or some other ricer. Kids seem to know these cars better than us older folk.
During lunch last week, I got some dude using his leaf blower to dust off the parking lot at Taco Hell. He blew crap all over my newly washed car. How's that for a comment?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a_ok2me said:
During lunch last week, I got some dude using his leaf blower to dust off the parking lot at Taco Hell. He blew crap all over my newly washed car. How's that for a comment?
That's Harsh!!!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
WannaM5 said:
Well, it's hard to describe all the varied positions out there--maybe I should post some pics so everyone can see for themselves what's available to the decerning M5 parker.

WARNING: You must have a very active and creative imagination (and have consumed a lot of beer) to fully appreciate the nuances of these various parking spot poses for your M5. :biggrin: :biggrin:

And don't even get me started on all the ways there are to enter and exit your car, load packages, etc to convey just that right attitude...... :1:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Anita said:
And don't even get me started on all the ways there are to enter and exit your car, load packages, etc to convey just that right attitude...... :1:
Entering and exiting the car I have covered. I've honed my movements to simultaneously exude both excitement and ennui as I enter and exit my car. If I could couple it with the right parking technique, the results would be devestating.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
hiha I'm not a Ben Stiller fan but when I read that, I could only think of that movie, Zoolander, with his various modeling looks or poses. "Here's my 'champagne' look." hiha

I'll have to admit that no one ever compliments me on my M5 that way (or at all, really). I dare say that your gender has something to do with it, Anita. Or maybe it's just that I don't keep my car clean enough? Or park it in a "flaunty" way? :M5launch:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HA HA You people are a trip! Maybe we'll have to start an M5 owners finishing school or something :haha: --okay, now that sounds way too feminine. We'll have to call it something else.

BTW, I almost broke my brain having to use all those fancy words in my other post hiha And worse yet, I probably need to take car entering and exiting lessons from WannaM5 :p

One day though, I may just post a pic of the most manly parking pose for the M5 I can think of.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Maybe its because of the fact that its LA or maybe its just me, but I do not get a second look from anyone when it comes to the car. Everyone must think its just another 5 series in the sea of 5 series in LA. I love reading all your stories about people waving or nodding or even starting conversations because of your cars, but unfortunately it has never happened to me. Maybe its an LA thing?

There is only one parking "stance" I take.. and that is the "Park-as-far-as-I-can-from-the-next-idiot-in-as-safe-a-spot-as-I-can-even-if-I-have-to-walk-the-extra-distrance" Crane Pose Parking Stance. ouich

I've recently taken my left kidney grill off the hood of the car for someone to try a chrome paint on. And I have been driving around like that for a week. Anyone spot a black M5 with a missing grill driving around? Well, I get more looks from people because of the missing grill in this one week then I have in the entire time of owning the car. Maybe if I brake a tail light someone might actually approach and comment lol. ... j/k :cheers:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
crnjyM5 said:
Maybe its because of the fact that its LA or maybe its just me...
It's California. I bet most people know nothing about an M5. People here think it's just another outdated 5 series. It's a dime a dozen here. In the Midwest, I never saw an M5 in my life. It's a rarity there, even the M3. Probably due to salary and cost of living differences, plus snow.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
The subtle nature of the M5 is one reason I love it so much. There is only one other M5 in Tucson that I see every few months (there may be others), but my M5 does not get much attention, except from a few car enthusiasts. It is great to be driving such a powerful car and yet not call attention to one's self.

Even though no one notices, I feel very special driving in my M5!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was driving aroundthe other day and a group of kids in modded up japanese too fast too furious cars gave me the thumbs up. As I rolled the tinted windows doen they saw my 3 kids in the back and freaked out............

As we peeled off the line, we were 2 cars lengths ahead of the Honda S2000.......

Made me feel 16 again.....

:flag:

RKM

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
a_ok2me said:
It's California. I bet most people know nothing about an M5. People here think it's just another outdated 5 series. It's a dime a dozen here. In the Midwest, I never saw an M5 in my life. It's a rarity there, even the M3. Probably due to salary and cost of living differences, plus snow.
I live just south of Madison, WI and I once saw an LMB heading out of town--I gave chase (I was in the '03 Mustang Cobra) and tried to wave--I'm sure he thought I was a total nut case. My only other M5 treat is parking by my mystery CB M5 at the Dane County Regional airport the past two years over winter break.

Guess what I've sited the most around here? Z8's!!! There are actually two owned right around here! What a trip! I felt sorry for the one poor owner who's car I saw in the shop last year. He had gotten some rather serious body damage on his car when he hit a lowered bit of pavement at a road construction site (or something like that). They wanted to ship his car back to New Jersey to have the body work done. Luckily there were able to do the work locally--probably had the same folks that fabricate the aluminum milk trucks do it. :haha: (I have a story about that involving welding, oil pans, and red dye to ck for leaks, but that's another story!!).

And hey, I'll never forget eating at my local quicky chinese restaurant and seeing a Z3 outside. Of course I couldn't resist playing "guess the owner" once I was inside. And boy did I embarassingly guess wrong--the driver turned out to be an older gentleman dressed neatly in overalls and a flannel shirt!!

OK enough of my stories already :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'll bet that was a Kodak Moment on the part of the TFTF crowd! :eek: :eek: :eek:

RKM said:
I was driving aroundthe other day and a group of kids in modded up japanese too fast too furious cars gave me the thumbs up. As I rolled the tinted windows doen they saw my 3 kids in the back and freaked out............

As we peeled off the line, we were 2 cars lengths ahead of the Honda S2000.......

Made me feel 16 again.....

:flag:

RKM

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yep. Even the kids that booted my car Saturday night for not paying a $5 parking fee felt bad about it. It was a Venus Fly Trap parking lot in downtown Charleston where you put the money in a cubby hole at the other end of the lot. Problem was I couldn't see it because it was dark and 70 feet away from the space I parked in.

Yes, I was pissed. My wife wouldn't let me go home and get my bolt cutters. I was going to cut the thing off and hang it in my garage as a trophy. Alas, she made me relent and pay the $35 "boot fee". I intend to go back there in my Landcruiser w/ my power converter and a RotoZip. I still want my $35 trophy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's tough not to become jaded in LA. I see Continental GT's, 911 Turbo's and various Aston's and Ferrari's every single day here. Subtlety aside, the M5 just doesn't rank with most people here.

About the only people that I regularly get looks and/or comments from are M3 owners. Birds of a feather. . .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts