BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fellow board member John and I had lunch yesterday as he wanted to check out my UUC Short Shift kit. Was I surprised to hear his new Dinan exhaust! And only the exhaust as he has not done any other exhaust work. What a low, wicked sound. I just ordered the Tubi and now I am afraid I may not get that low rumble that I want. Anyone heard both and have comments? I know there is a huge Tubi following here, but does it have that low, angry sound or does it light up more in the mid RPM range?
Thanks for putting up with yet another exhaust post! I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but that's why this boards here, right?
TripleD

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you decide you don't like the tubi I have an exhaust that osunded similar to Dinan in the garage. I took it off because I prefer the higher pitched racy sound to the low rubmly Dinan sound.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have the Dinan exhaust with headers and CAI--it sounds awesome. I love the deep rumble over the higher pitch. When I had the car dyno'ed recently--the crowd that assembled loved the sound of the car as they tach'ed it out in 3 and fourth gear. It really sounds great--and I love the fat tips.

Good luck!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
The Tubi arrived today but I won't be able to install until after next week. I will let you know.
TripleD
DrewKeen said:
If you decide you don't like the tubi I have an exhaust that osunded similar to Dinan in the garage. I took it off because I prefer the higher pitched racy sound to the low rubmly Dinan sound.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Too much low rumble is tiring after a while. It sounds cool at first but living with it day to day I find to be a pain. Really, it's more fun (and less tiring) to have moderate rumble at low rpm then have it scream when you open it up. If it was before purchase, I'd say it's more of a toss-up as to whether you go with Dinan or Tubi. But since they're already ordered, stick with the Tubis. I really don't think you will be disappointed. Also give them time. They get louder after running them a thousand miles or so. :M5launch:

·
10,445 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
I've heard the dinan exhaust...and its nice but its way too weezy at high rpms for me. Also its a bit over priced for a cut up OEM muffler
dinan doesn't use gutted oem mufflers anymore!
Mike

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You won't get the low rumbling you are looking for with the Tubi.. I mean, not close to what the Dinan puts out. There is no drone with the Tubi, and it just hits that wonderful higher note at the 3-4k range that wails at 5-7K RPM. I was looking for that deeper note as well and I was initially disappointed with the Tubi but it grew on me really quickly. The exhaust definitely grows louder over time, as well.

·
10,445 Posts
DrewKeen said:
Dinan used to use cut up oem mufflers? What would they do to them?
this was back in the e30, e32, e34 days (maybe others, not sure) but they would use stock bmw mufflers, cut open the muffler housing, remove some stuff, and do who know's what, to creat their sport exhaust. I had one on a 318 and a 525 i had. The plus, perfect fit, since it's a bmw system. Sound was always really nice, seemed to last well (at least here in california). The minus, well, i guess you don't exactly know what they've done (although they did advertise dyno numbers showing improved performance) and the cost, as always.
Mike

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Dinan used to use cut up oem mufflers? What would they do to them? ... this was back in the e30, e32, e34 days
I think they did that with e36 mufflers, too.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
yes even the E36's were like that too....

And its a **** crime that someone wouuld do that anyway...

Dinan has gotten their acts together and its easy to see that the E39 mufflers are not cut ups anymore...but i just thought i would put in that dinan jab.

·
Registered
927 Posts
tripleD said:
So fellow board member John and I had lunch yesterday as he wanted to check out my UUC Short Shift kit. Was I surprised to hear his new Dinan exhaust! And only the exhaust as he has not done any other exhaust work. What a low, wicked sound. I just ordered the Tubi and now I am afraid I may not get that low rumble that I want. Anyone heard both and have comments? I know there is a huge Tubi following here, but does it have that low, angry sound or does it light up more in the mid RPM range?
Thanks for putting up with yet another exhaust post! I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but that's why this boards here, right?
TripleD
You've got to hear my Kelleners :cheers:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Comparing my dinan setup to the tubi mp3s i've heard i would say the tubis sound more refined, the dinans more bad-assed especially when you open up the 4000rpm can of whoopass.

What i really like about the dinan setup minus Xpipe is that with the windows rolled up there isn't any throb in the cabin and you can talk on the hands-free phone, carry a conversation, etc. Also at idle it's quiet enough where you won't wake the neighbors. If you want to blast yourself and everyone else away all the time you could find a cheaper setup with pretty badassed sound...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have heard both the Tubi's as well as the Dinan exhuast. My opinion was that the Dinan has a raspy type of sound, that in my opinion wasn't meant for a M5. The Tubi's have such an exotic sound. And the worst part of all is that you never get to appreciate it because your behind the wheel.

Marion

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know, I know! I may have to find a reason to drive down to Columbus or you need to get to Atl.

In all actuality, I'm afraid to hear your car as then I will know what I will have to do next.
TripleD
01M5 said:
You've got to hear my Kelleners :cheers:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Try this

There has been a nebver ending discussion hear regarding the "sound" of various exhaust systems. I have found a very interesting way to compare them. You will need both exhausts on two cars side by side. You have to run them at the same rpm levels one after another. Full throttle to red line, constant level runs as well as the sound on deacceleration.

I have the Tubi because it is the sound I was looking for, but that does not mean everyone is looking for the same sound as I.

Mark

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Try this

Good call. If my wife hears of this, she will definitely know she married a tool.

DrewKeen said:
Maybe we need an atlanta exhaust mini-meet?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts