BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Version 25 was released yesterday, as it arrived to my dealership on Wednesday. I haven't had time to do the software download, but will do it as soon as possible. I don't know if it will do anything for our DVD NAV system, it might, but then it might not. Time will tell and I'll report back to you. If you have your "connection" try to get your copy of the disc because the BMW dealerships all have it by now.
Robert :cheers:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just did the software download. The NAV system accepted the new NAV software disc V 25. It went through the entire updating process. Once it was done the message stated that the newest software version "version 5.00" was complete, and finished the download process. Im not sure what has changed but obviously our DVD NAV system takes this software update with good reason, otherwise the message would have stated the software is up too date and the system would have rejected the new disc.
:viking:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Ok, now I've got to look for v25. Anybody have a source?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I was just told by Navteq that 2005-2 is due out 'next week'...

different than the nav operating system SW discussed in this topic, but nonetheless of interest to many...

This one I will buy (a downloaded image of 2004-2 was too unstable to use).

·
Registered
60 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Just did the software download. The NAV system accepted the new NAV software disc V 25. It went through the entire updating process. Once it was done the message stated that the newest software version "version 5.00" was complete, and finished the download process. Im not sure what has changed but obviously our DVD NAV system takes this software update with good reason, otherwise the message would have stated the software is up too date and the system would have rejected the new disc.
Can you please clarify for me what the purpose of doing this is ? Updating the software to do what ? I have a 2001 which has the technology from then.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
All nav operating systems have received SOME upgrades over the years. You should consider upgrading to the most current level- just makes sense.

Now, a 2001 will likely not benefit from the most recent SW upgrades- the most recent upgrades are for the DVD-based, Mark 4 nav units.

having said that, I do not know what you have nor, more importantly, the last upgrade level for your unit.

I would suggest you check out:

http://www.x5world.net/navfaq.htm

and see if you are fully upgraded, and if not, what upgrade you need...

A

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
does anybody know what these upgrades really do?

when i ask BMW about the occassionally bogus directions or failure to accept a destination they say it's Navtech's fault

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
stever said:
does anybody know what these upgrades really do?

when i ask BMW about the occassionally bogus directions or failure to accept a destination they say it's Navtech's fault
There are two possible 'upgrades' (and my fault for mixing them here): an upgrade to the maps or data on the DVD

and

an upgrade to the operating system software on the navigation computer.

The nav computer is upgraded via the cd using v23, v25, etc terminology.

Upgrading the data used by the computer is just chaning the cd or dvd (depending on your system).

It is really, really difficult to figure out who is to blame when a route is screwey or an address not found.

and the end result, whether it is BMW(vdo?) or Navteq, is that you are SOL. Get the latest SW and hope for the best.

A

·
Registered
590 Posts
FAST 5 said:
Thanks Robert

My 00 is getting a DME upgrade tomorrow and I'll ask about the new V25 software for the Nav.

Joe

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
FAST 5 said:
If you come to the dealership, I'll do it for you FREE of charge! You however MUST have the DVD system!
I would do that but you're about 3,000 miles from me. :hihi: Think you could copy the image file instead? That'd be much more convenient I would think.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for your offer Robert. Sorry I failed to mention that I upgraded my 00 to the DVD system a month ago and installed version V24.1 software. So I'll ask the dealer today.

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts