BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 01 M5 and am looking to have installed flatscreens into headrests with a multidisc dvd player with IR control installed in the boot. TV in motion will be essential so that all three (inc sat nav) will work all the time.
There will also be a port to plug in a PS2 for the rear passengers, (noise wont be a prob as wireless earphones will be fitted).
My question is has anybody done anything like this??, any probs or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance! cherrsagai

B

·
0 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
I own an 01 M5 and am looking to have installed flatscreens into headrests with a multidisc dvd player with IR control installed in the boot. TV in motion will be essential so that all three (inc sat nav) will work all the time.
There will also be a port to plug in a PS2 for the rear passengers, (noise wont be a prob as wireless earphones will be fitted).
My question is has anybody done anything like this??, any probs or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance! cherrsagai
All these things are pretty simple if you get rid of the OEM radio/headunit. If you want to keep it, things get much more complicated.

You may want to ask Roger (rogbacon) where he had his done, as he has one of the most sophisticated custom systems I have ever seen in an M5.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daniel,

I am going to keep sat nav headunit as dont want to lose it. This will also create a third screen for both front passenger and rear middle seat passenger.
I have spoken today to car audio dealer who also fits for BMW and says it is all possible.

Also going to have fitted Origin b2 fitted as too risky driving without!!!

B

·
0 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
Daniel,

I am going to keep sat nav headunit as dont want to lose it. This will also create a third screen for both front passenger and rear middle seat passenger.
I have spoken today to car audio dealer who also fits for BMW and says it is all possible.

Also going to have fitted Origin b2 fitted as too risky driving without!!!
That is cool. I am glad that you found someone who can provide you with the solution that you want. Often it is easier to install an Alpine or other aftermarket sat nav headunit, as it is tough working with the BMW headunit as the central control unit for the entire system.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
baldy_bonce said:
Daniel,

Well, anything is "possible". I'd make sure it is in writing- 'if the installation does not meet the following written specs they will return it to complete stock at no charge'

You'll have to let us know the details once it is fully spec'd or complete!

good luck

Ard

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Cool, nice one dude, infact there is a way of hooking up a dvd player via the AV channel builtin on the tv. This can then be hooked up to 2 or monitors..

I looked at this a year or so, and got the av inputs cable/tv in motion, managed to hook up a 7" lcd screen and a camera playing back on the builtin indash screen and the 2nd screen...

Wouldn't mind getting some nice good screens and fitting them in the headrests with a dvd player in the boot.. mmmmmm

·
Registered
616 Posts
There is a guy in Birmingham who advertises SAT Nav installs on eBAY - he installs DVD player s in the boot with an IR remote on the dash - and provides connectivity into the AV the channehl on the existing Sat NAV unit + adding on additional rear headrest screens - should not be an issue.

Have you considered a seperate roof mounted screen at the back for thhe kids with a built in DVD player also - I think this may be a better option as that would be required is power to the seperate unit - your sat nav etc will be untouched and everything will be seperate.

I was in Best Buy in US today and saw 10.4" roof mounted screen with built in DVD player & spkrs for around $700 - which with the current rate of conversion makes it v v cheap = approx 400 pounds + about 50 for fitting.

BTW - which guy have you spoken to regarding fitting this...? Plz PM or email his details... thx

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts