BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys after doing a search on all things that squeak, rattle, clunk, creak, and in general make noises that are not supposed to be there, I cannot find anything about a headliner rattle. when i am driving on the interstate and the car shudders a little from a small crack in the ground, etc. i get a rattle sound from right behind the sunroof cutout on the drivers side. this is driving me crazy as everything else in the car is quite. has anyone else had this or fixed it. i really don't want to take apart my headliner, but i will if i have too.

thanks,
chris

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it makes more noise with the slide open (exposed glass) than it does with it closed, but makes noise nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ok i feel your pain as im going thru it at the moment its not the head liner its the acual sunroof its the gasket around the sun roof on the body shrinks be cause of the cold and age and what your hearing is the sunroof bounceing up an down. and the way to confirm is close the sunroof slide the shade back and push up on the sun roof from the center you will see you have some play there. put some carbon flow around the gasket to quite it down and replace the body gasket in the spring

Reactions: 155plus

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will give this a shot but what is carbon flow? i have noticed my sunroof slightly pops up due to the pressure change when i shut the door.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks again, i will go get some. hope this works

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I had the rattle above the driver side and near the sunroof while it was under factory warranty. They took out the liner and stuck some cloth between the liner and the roof to block the rattle. It still rattles once in awhile near the upper handle above the window, but it's not really noticeable. I guess they didn't realize to insulate this area when I brought the car in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the rattle above the driver side and near the sunroof while it was under factory warranty. They took out the liner and stuck some cloth between the liner and the roof to block the rattle. It still rattles once in awhile near the upper handle above the window, but it's not really noticeable. I guess they didn't realize to insulate this area when I brought the car in.
i really hope it does not come down to this, as it would seem to be a major PITA to remove the headliner. this is going to sound major ghetto, but i wonder if you can inject something like that "great stuff" from HD to insulate and quiet the rattles?? who knows, but i would love some feedback.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
did you try the carbon flow

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
i really hope it does not come down to this, as it would seem to be a major PITA to remove the headliner. this is going to sound major ghetto, but i wonder if you can inject something like that "great stuff" from HD to insulate and quiet the rattles?? who knows, but i would love some feedback.
I had a "creak" at the left rear corner of the sunroof area, off to the LR of that area just above my head. My tech didn't have to drop the whole headliner...he used less that 1hr of labor to put some foam material in there and the creak is gone. It used to only be there in cold weather btw, and it drove me crazy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no i have not tried anything yet, as the weather here seems to want to rain all the time. i want to really look at the mechanism and the headliner on a good day and when i have a little time. i near froze my butt off changing the tranny and diff. fluid last weekend.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok finally got around to checking out this problem. Went down to lowe's and picked up a can of Du Pont Teflon Silicone lubricant spray. sprayed into all nooks and crannies of sunroof mechanism, and it seems to have taken care of the problem. just wanted to give yall an update. Thanks for all the suggestions and help on trouble shooting this!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
ok finally got around to checking out this problem. Went down to lowe's and picked up a can of Du Pont Teflon Silicone lubricant spray. sprayed into all nooks and crannies of sunroof mechanism, and it seems to have taken care of the problem. just wanted to give yall an update. Thanks for all the suggestions and help on trouble shooting this!!
How were you able to get access to the nooks?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with the red hose!! :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you don't want to know, and you really don't want to know what came out as well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
ok i feel your pain as im going thru it at the moment its not the head liner its the acual sunroof its the gasket around the sun roof on the body shrinks be cause of the cold and age and what your hearing is the sunroof bounceing up an down. and the way to confirm is close the sunroof slide the shade back and push up on the sun roof from the center you will see you have some play there. put some carbon flow around the gasket to quite it down and replace the body gasket in the spring
Reviving a thread a few months old since I finally got around to fix my sunroof issue this weekend. I tried the "Gummipflege approach" (same as Carbaflow) and it if anything made it worse. I then bought a new gasket from a local dealer (w/ BMW CCA rebate of course) and installed it (PITA to remove old gasket by the way). The roof is now completely quiet, and there is a "tight" noise when you close it and the roof is pushed into the opening. Comparing the two gaskets (new and old), you can visually see how the old one was compressed and the flossy surface was all slick (partially due to the application of the Gummipflege which is really the wrong way to try to solve the problem).
If you have any noises in your sunroof - start with replacing the gasket, it's the likely culprit and for $50 all in it's worth to try it first.

Thanks to m5 Deamon for pointing this out. :applause:

The partnumber for the gasket is: 54-12-8-169-710, Remember to cut the end pieces at an angle to ensure a quiet operation.

Reactions: wilsodh

·
Registered
553 Posts
Wanted to add that this also worked for my 99 540i. New sunroof gasket bought me another ~40k miles of a quiet sunroof and a nicer sound when closing the sunroof.

I also had to put some foam in the headliner to quiet a different noise. If you can pin point the area above the headliner that is making noise, you can pull that side down enough to slide a soft 1" thick foam pad (cut it to size) up in there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Anyone else had this noise above the drivers side, close to the grab handle?

Was the best solution just to try and jam some foam in there....?

It's driving me nuts. It's a squeak/rattle from the area between the sunroof and grab handle.

Cheers all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts