BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My E34 M5 headliner is sagging at rear.

BTW, I found new one for "complete leather trim interior" the headliner price goes up ten times more from $460.94 to $5992.92 in realoem.

This is strange because the headliner itself is not made of Leather.

The street price is about $5325 here:

I am thinking, could the old headliner be removed without damage and glued back smoothly?

BTW, Here is an old post about headliner replacement:

Karl
1992 EURO 3.8L

·
Registered
60 Posts
BTW, I found new one for "complete leather trim interior" the headliner price goes up ten times more from $460.94 to $5992.92 in realoem.

This is strange because the headliner itself is not made of Leather anyone.

The street price is about $5325 here:
Hi Karl

My car has this "complete leather" interior and the headliner is some kind of alcantara etc. It is really different compare those "regular" ones that have problem to peel off.

It seems to be the NLA from 2008, so I guess ecstuning doesn’t have it in stock. Of course I can be wrong, but the price is terrible.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
595 Posts
Depending on where you live, you can probably find an interior guy who can handle this for you and install any material you want, maybe even fix original. I did that with my Formula, but didn't trust the guys with the car, so I took the headliner out myself, and brought it over to them. Give you a chance to check out other things while in there, that they would not have bother with. Very happy with the results. And yes, its probably just the glue failing from heat, hopefully not the backing material. If you press gently up there, you should feel a firm backing material, which should give hope that it can be repaired.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy Holiday to all, Say I'm new, very new to the site and posting. I opened my email this morning and saw the e34 headliner comments. $5k, outrageous... I have an 93 e34,m5, I've moved from L.A. to Boise and had 2 quotes from interior shops in LA. The quotes averaged from 2500-3000, I passed.
While in Boise I found a 1 man custom interior guy who assured me the job was no big deal....and he was right. I was cautious with letting him tackle the job but I was there in the tear down. What happens to the headliner, mine was sagging from the sunroof back. Yes the adhesive breaks down but there's a thin layer or foam that is glued to the top headliner shell that breaks down to dust in some cases. My guy pulled all the piller posts, sunroof and headliner shell. It was a 2 day process of scrapping the old foam from the shell and cleaning up the old glue. the fabric from the posts pulled right off and the sunroof was pretty straight forward. My biggest challenge was finding the matching material. Absolutely nothing in Boise and I was on the phone calling 3-4 suppliers in larger cities when I found a fabric that was a German suede type in LA.
The results were absolutely right on. My guy charged $500 for the 2 day installation and the 3 yards of material ran $120....! I was so dreading this repair but absolutely pleased with the results.
Mike in Boise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happy Holiday to all, Say I'm new, very new to the site and posting. I opened my email this morning and saw the e34 headliner comments. $5k, outrageous... I have an 93 e34,m5, I've moved from L.A. to Boise and had 2 quotes from interior shops in LA. The quotes averaged from 2500-3000, I passed.
While in Boise I found a 1 man custom interior guy who assured me the job was no big deal....and he was right. I was cautious with letting him tackle the job but I was there in the tear down. What happens to the headliner, mine was sagging from the sunroof back. Yes the adhesive breaks down but there's a thin layer or foam that is glued to the top headliner shell that breaks down to dust in some cases. My guy pulled all the piller posts, sunroof and headliner shell. It was a 2 day process of scrapping the old foam from the shell and cleaning up the old glue. the fabric from the posts pulled right off and the sunroof was pretty straight forward. My biggest challenge was finding the matching material. Absolutely nothing in Boise and I was on the phone calling 3-4 suppliers in larger cities when I found a fabric that was a German suede type in LA.
The results were absolutely right on. My guy charged $500 for the 2 day installation and the 3 yards of material ran $120....! I was so dreading this repair but absolutely pleased with the results.
Mike in Boise
Hey Newbie! I'm in Boise and am looking to get some minor repair work done, and would appreciate a referral from you. Where'd you go? DM me at frontrowbilly and the site is the google email place,,,ya know the one.. GEE mail

1 - 6 of 6 Posts