BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,
Does anyone know what type plastic was used to make the headliners? And especially what glue will hold on it?
Shop pulled the liner out for me to access the moon roof for repair. And the liner material was beginning the common sag. I want to recover it. Being old some of the smaller parts broke.

I don’t expect edge to edge glue to hold but I intend to use 1 or 2 oz per yard fiberglass and taper the backside to give more room for glass layers.

I might also entertain buying a complete headliner group if no sags present.

Thank you
Charles

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The only glue that will hold headliners permanently is DAP 88.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Once it sags, its really over and needs to be redone.

For recovering, I've had good success with 3M canned adhesives as long as I weighed down any tight radii with cans etc. The last 2 headliners I layed a plastic sheet over the fiber board with old fabric still attached, filled in tight areas with plaster to make molds and used those to weigh down the new fabric. I've got 10+ years on my first one without issues. I know people say 3M stuff doesn't work but I would have to guess its in the execution.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I know people say 3M stuff doesn't work but I would have to guess its in the execution.
Absolutely the truth. I have seen people try and spray just one side wet, then try and assemble. I have seen them 1/2 read the instructions and apply to one side and let dry and wonder why it does not stick. The instructions are important but those adhesives work if the instructions are followed. They are contact adhesives to the most part and have to have been sprayed on both surfaces, and fabric usually needs a coat applied first then left to dry completely as a sealer. Then a few hours later you apply to both surfaces let dry the required time and assemble.
My problem is usually letting parts touch where I don't want them and they don't come apart unless you spray with a solvent or apply heat with a heat gun.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The best contact cement to use is DAP HHR adhesive.

I've recovered a couple headliners myself using it and I have also had a couple done at an upholstery shop. They used the same DAP HHR adhesive.

It's sold in gallon cans, but in recent years they started selling it in spray cans.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good info.

The other question was what will glue the backing board together? So I can repair breaks in the structure that holds the headliner covering? It appears to be plastic.

Thank you
Charles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll sort through it in a few days and try to attach some pictures. I'm ready to get the interior back up to road ready even though I still drive it some.

2001 e39 540 manual Msport, last of the true Msports with full M everything but the engine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The last 2 headliners I layed a plastic sheet over the fiber board with old fabric still attached, filled in tight areas with plaster to make molds and used those to weigh down the new fabric.
Now that is pretty clever! Nice tip.

Reactions: 95naSTA
1 - 10 of 10 Posts