BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my first M5, a 2002 Le Mans Blue in August and I have a question about the headlights.

a b c d d c b a = headlights from front view

a = turn signal
b = ?????????? - never turns on
c = normal + angel eyes
d = high beam + angel eyes.

On the dashboard the controls for the headlights situated at left of steering wheel.

-1 0 1 2 = headlight control, 0 = off

I tried all positions but headlight "b" never turns on.

Do I have a bad bulb on both sides ??

Please advise,
Thanks,
GR

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
gramsay said:
I recently purchased my first M5, a 2002 Le Mans Blue in August and I have a question about the headlights.

a = turn signal
c = normal + angel eyes

On the dashboard the controls for the headlights situated at left of steering wheel.

Please advise,
Thanks,
GR
For 2001 M5s and up the "B" lights are the turn signals only. I think they alternate with the "A" lights. The "A" lights are parking lights as well, on with the angel eyes. I think "A" lights are for side visibility, B for straight ahead.

For 2002 & up, the headlight switch "-1" position is automatic headlights. It turns on parking lights in the ignition switch accessory position, and headlights in the ignition switch on position. There is no way I know to change their sensitivity. Mine are OK but don't come on as soon as I want sometimes.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Richard in NC said:
For 2001 M5s and up the "B" lights are the turn signals only. The "A" lights and angel eyes are parking lights.

There is no way I know to change their sensitivity. Mine are OK but don't come on as soon as I want sometimes.
There has to be a light sensor somewhere. I would think a piece of tape or something semi transparent would block enough light to have the lights come on sooner. Typically, those sensors are on top of the dash., sometimes near the base of the windshield. Not sure on our cars.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Richard in NC said:
For 2001 M5s and up the "B" lights are the turn signals only. I think they alternate with the "A" lights. The "A" lights are parking lights as well, on with the angel eyes. I think "A" lights are for side visibility, B for straight ahead.

For 2002 & up, the headlight switch "-1" position is automatic headlights. It turns on parking lights in the ignition switch accessory position, and headlights in the ignition switch on position. There is no way I know to change their sensitivity. Mine are OK but don't come on as soon as I want sometimes.
In my 2002, switch positions -1 and 2 yield the same results.
Normal headlights are on, which I think are c.
High Beams are d.
turn signals are a.

b lights never turn on ...... bit concerned.

Peace,
GR

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
For the headlights to be on in position 1, the daytime running lights would have been set. They shouldn't be as bright as position 2.

The bulbs for the turn signals "B" lights, burn out easily. It is possible both are out. You should notice a real fast blink. Mine did. They are a real pain to reach and replace. Mine burnt out (one at a time) under warranty and were replaced by the dealer for no charge.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Richard in NC said:
The bulbs for the turn signals "B" lights, burn out easily. It is possible both are out. You should notice a real fast blink. Mine did. They are a real pain to reach and replace. Mine burnt out (one at a time) under warranty and were replaced by the dealer for no charge.
Shouldn't you get some kind of warning light if your bulb burns out? (The fact that there are questions about whether they are burnt out indicates a lack of a warning light.) When yours burnt out, did you get an error light?

·
Registered
315 Posts
gsfent said:
There has to be a light sensor somewhere. I would think a piece of tape or something semi transparent would block enough light to have the lights come on sooner. Typically, those sensors are on top of the dash., sometimes near the base of the windshield. Not sure on our cars.
Regards,
Jerry
I think the sensor is behind the rearview mirror. as is the rain detector for the wipers. I've noticed that if the top part of the windsreen is dirty, lights come on earlier.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
marcducati said:
I think the sensor is behind the rearview mirror. as is the rain detector for the wipers. I've noticed that if the top part of the windsreen is dirty, lights come on earlier.
Thanks, that should help Richard in NC with the sensitivity of the auto headlights.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
gramsay said:

a = turn signal
c = normal + angel eyes

Please advise,
Thanks,
GR
I think everyone missed this one, if you are using the a b c d d c b a = headlights from front view to depict the arrangement of lights viewed from the front then B lights would be the fog lights which are not controlled by the switch you mention. The fog lights are controlled by the switch on the other side of the wheel. Turn it on and see if B then illuminate.
Ken

·
Registered
612 Posts
kwalls said:
I think everyone missed this one, if you are using the a b c d d c b a = headlights from front view to depict the arrangement of lights viewed from the front then B lights would be the fog lights which are not controlled by the switch you mention. The fog lights are controlled by the switch on the other side of the wheel. Turn it on and see if B then illuminate.
Ken
Hello Ken,
So you are saying that the foglight switch will turn on two sets of lights? Down in the air dam and the "b" lights?
Best Wishes,
Alfred

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Stickman said:
Hello Ken,
So you are saying that the foglight switch will turn on two sets of lights? Down in the air dam and the "b" lights?
Best Wishes,
Alfred
Hey Alfred, see you are back in Germany. :byebye:

Yes, if I understood the illustration correctly.

You missed a big viper meet this weekend at Hockenheim. It was too wet however, and most of the snakes sat in the parking lot at the Holiday Inn. :crying: Not enough traction to keep them on the track.

I saw them on display (about 25 or so) but didn't get out and look closer, fest down the road calling me for a wet one or two. cherrsagai
Ken

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Marcducati;
Thanks for the tip to keep the windshield dirty :)

Stickman, kwalls;
My assumption was the fog lights down below weren't counted. When looking at the passenger side headlight assembly, light A would be a small orange covered light (in the US), B would be a 2 inch diameter turn signal with orange bulb, C is the xenon low beam, and D is the halogen high beam.

I did not get a warning message in the dash when the turn signal bulb was out, just a fast blink. I don't know what would happen if both were out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Richard in NC said:
Marcducati;

Stickman, kwalls;
My assumption was the fog lights down below weren't counted. When looking at the passenger side headlight assembly, light A would be a small orange covered light (in the US), B would be a 2 inch diameter turn signal with orange bulb, C is the xenon low beam, and D is the halogen high beam.

I did not get a warning message in the dash when the turn signal bulb was out, just a fast blink. I don't know what would happen if both were out.
Thats correct. The fog lights below were not counted in my diagram. They work fine on my car using the dash control right of steering wheel.

Correct, A is small orange light.
????? B ... on my car the visible lens is clear/white, like C/D, just smaller.
Cant tell color of bulb .......... maybe I need a closer look.
Correct for C and D.

With B not working, I dont have fast blink.

Peace,
GR

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Richard in NC said:
Marcducati;

Stickman, kwalls;

BINGO !!!! Richard in NC got it right !!

God **** new fangle car made me a fool and a liar for the 3rd time since August. Aint nothing wrong with the headlights.

I went to Vista BMW in Coconut Creek, Florida to have them check out the headlights, do oil change and any possible warranty work.

I bust my butt to get up early and beat traffic to get their at 7:30AM open. I dont usually wake up till 7AM for 9AM work start so I was a bit groggy.

Got there 7:36AM and was 5th in line.

A sight to see was a 2-door tricked out M3 or 3 series in lime green with a wide-body kit, deep dish chrome rims, racing stickers/decals and logo. It also had vertical/Lamborghini doors, custom interior and dual NOS-canisters in the back seat with roll cage. Must be one "FAST" car. Looks like a car out of 2 Fast, 2 Furious !!

Anyway while waiting for work on car I inquired about bluetooth capability for the 2002 M5 with a Sprint phone/service. Not much to choose from with the Treo 650 being the Sprint phone of choice.

Soon after the car and analysis was done. Tech said, "there's nothing wrong with the lights, they are fine !" .... Hmmm, Im stumped and a bit skeptical so I say, "show me". We go to the car and he sits in and turns on the light in question.

Low and behold the "b" lights are on and they are blinking in orange.

My draw drops and Im like ... I'll be damned !!

I have never seen those lights on, so how did he do it.

Apparently when I made this post after checking the lights I did so with no key in the ignition. With no key in the ignition, the "b" lights will "NEVER" be on.

The Tech had the key in the ignition and turned and therefore the "b" lights worked as he enabled the turn signals.

Now it seems to me that the "b" lights are the turn signals and not "a" as I thought.

In the past when I tested the turn signals I was always in the car and assumed since the color was orange, it came from the corner "a" lights.
Guess, bad assumption.

Now Im wondering whats the purpose of the "a" lights. After further inspection they seem to be a lens and not a light with a bulb.

The Tech did mention some fiber optic connection with the angel eyes.
So I guess, the corner "a" just illuminates with a low,medium glow.

This high tech stuff is making me a fool ! :crying:

I did request an oil change but the service rep said not necessary since after reading the key (another amazement to me, what the ??? :confused3 ) he said I had 3 solid green bars and service was not necessary until orange/yellow shows.
So no oil change.

I did request a system/diagnostics check but the service rep. blew me off and said i dont have a "magic wand" to tell what is bad or close to fail on the car.
So no system/diagnostic check.

I kinda felt, geez what a waste of time, but I guess I should be glad that there is nothing obviously wrong with the car and the lights do work fine.

One more sight to see was after cruising by Champion Audi around the corner to visit a buddy, I saw a M5 competitor, the Audi RS6 in the showroom. It was a 2003 with 13K miles, auto, black out/black int for $80k. With all things being equal I still prefer the M5, at least it was manual/stick.

Peace,
GR :7:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Glad to help figure it out. I never thought of which ignition switch position is needed for the turn signals.

Hmmm... There is a feature in the M5 if you leave a turn signal on with the car parked (and key out of the ignition), the parking lights for that side only stay on. That is a parking indicator for European countries. I wonder which bulb is on in the front?

What's worse at dealership is to wait 2 hours during a service visit only to be told the wrong part was ordered and to reschedule :grrrr:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Richard in NC said:
Glad to help figure it out. I never thought of which ignition switch position is needed for the turn signals.

Hmmm... There is a feature in the M5 if you leave a turn signal on with the car parked (and key out of the ignition), the parking lights for that side only stay on. That is a parking indicator for European countries. I wonder which bulb is on in the front?

What's worse at dealership is to wait 2 hours during a service visit only to be told the wrong part was ordered and to reschedule :grrrr:
For the parking lights its the angel eye that stays on on the side you want.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts