BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "Low Beam" light came on to tell me one of my lights was out. After swapping Right for Left, I came to the conclusion that in fact one of my bulbs is out. My problem is that when I bought the car I was a Real Estate Agent and now I'm a Security Guard...:eek:oohhh: The Dealer wants $300 a piece! Discount BMW parts places want $175 ea. So, I guess I'm going to look on Ebay.

Just wondering if anyone has purchased form a reputable dealer on Ebay?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I think i have a D2s bulb pm me...if i find it i'll send t to you for free...
My "Low Beam" light came on to tell me one of my lights was out. After swapping Right for Left, I came to the conclusion that in fact one of my bulbs is out. My problem is that when I bought the car I was a Real Estate Agent and now I'm a Security Guard...:eek:oohhh: The Dealer wants $300 a piece! Discount BMW parts places want $175 ea. So, I guess I'm going to look on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Hey Ocean,
I'm trying to send you a PM but i think you have them turned off. Is there anyway to contact you?

thank!

·
Registered
12,890 Posts

Try board sponsor umnitza. The bulbs are nothing special, can't remember if they are H7. umnitza will know and should be able to help for much less than the dealer.

The bulbs simply separate from the holder and are replaceable individually. Might be a good idea to replace in sets, and keep your old bulb as a spare.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
If free from Laidback doesn't work; being you asked about eBay- I bought low beam in 6000k from this eBay'er. Out of 2463 feedbacks, ZERO are negative. It should be less than half what the dealer quoted you. D2S for roughly $90?

HtH

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Laidback --> PM sent and Thank you for the gracious offer and a kind gesture... :cheers:

Alin10123--> I think my pm is ON now, PM sent to you.

gsfent--> You are correct about Umnitza... PM sent

Ladykats--> That is really a neat name! :cool: I guess it's spring time... :hihi:

BMWMPWR--> Thanks for the link! I'm going to go check them out..:cool2:

It is amazing that BMW creats so many Spawn Business' due to their High Prices. Now, if our HID Bulbs were specific only to the M5, I could see the high prices... but soo many BMW's, and other manufacturers use the same bulbs. What do you think is the reasoning for such high prices on gas-filled Bulbs?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just had the dealer replace my entire driver side housing. long story, but the dealer broke the leveling device within the headlamp & I had them replace the entire unit with a new one.

when I came home later that evening and viewed the headlights, the driver side bulb looked more yellow/halogen compared to the passenger side which looks normal(bluish white color).

I called the service advisor, and he said the new housing comes with a new bulb, and he's heard time & again from customers when they change headlights that the color variation seems different. he told me that it'll never be exactly the same, and the new bulb needs several hundred hours to break in & may change color & closer match the passenger side eventually.

is this true? I just can't stand having headlights not match.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
What your SA said is true.

www.umnitza.com - tutorials.

When you replace the headlight, it comes with a new bulb. This bulb is a TRUE 4300K, aka very yellowy white.

Over time, lots of usage, they migrate up in K - usually stabilizing for a long period of time at 5000K before reaching "end of life" closer to 6K. <-- over 3000 hours of usage or: 8 years with 1/hr/day usage.

In cases like this, it's good to keep the stock bulb and get a set of quality D2S 6K bulbs as a pair - or even 5K or 4300K.

That way they match, and you have a spare in case one fails.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts