BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my ongoing quest to waste more money on my beloved '90 3.6l, is there a particular wiring loom that is for the headlights? Mine appears quite brittle and I want to replace it before it breaks completely.

I have had a search here and also on Realoem but cant find any part number that may lead me to it.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's just part of the complete loom, as in nowhere to disconnect just the lights part of it. you can still get the bits and pieces of the connectors if you wanted to go that way. I've thought about it too, mine turn to dust when you touch them.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I've just done something similar to mine as every time I went to change a bulb, or move a headlight wire out of the way to do something else, the wire would break and then the side/headlight would fail.

I bought a couple of 'repair' kits from BMW (61131382248) which have about 8 x 2 foot lengths of wire with different connectors on the end (90 degree & straight ones), then you get some wire connectors which just crimp together and some clear heatshrink.

I still had to buy all the different sockets for the lights & washer pumps, and whilst some are the same colour, they are not the same shape, and some are the same shape, but different colours - there's white, grey, black & yellow versions of all the connectors, and there are 90 degree and straight blocks too!

I think one of the previous owners of mine was an 'Essex boy' as there seems to be extra wiring to small tubular bulbs in the fog lights (like small tiny neons - about 20mm long by 4mm diameter).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you just love it when you go to your local dealer and he has absolutely no idea of what you are after. I even had the broken parts and the car to show him and he still couldn't find the parts.......I ended up having to show him where they are located on the parts CD.

Then he tells me they don't make them anymore........wtf. Yes they do, they make them for a lot of model BMW's. All got too hard for him and he got someone else nearly as useless. Anyways, I left the part with them and said to give me a call when they find out where they are and how much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
dave,

you really need to get a copy of the etk. i love the look on the parts guys face when i show up with my laptop or a printout of the part diagram. helps simplify the process greatly.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dave,

you really need to get a copy of the etk. i love the look on the parts guys face when i show up with my laptop or a printout of the part diagram. helps simplify the process greatly.
Yeah I have a copy, just didn't think I would need it. Next time for sure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Has anyone run a homemade system in place of the factory one? My M5 has been through a lot and needs all new wiring and I have been looking all over for someone to have pioneered replacing just the headlight, brake lights, and turn indicator wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts