BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my headlights have been very effectively illuminating the road up to 5 feet in front of the car so a while now. So I ordered and installed new adjusters, and adjusted those adjusters, but still no auto levelling. So I ordered new vertical control sensors front and rear, as well as the connecting rods.

When i came to change the rear sensor, I saw that the sensor arm had snapped in half, and the connecting rod was missing. No bother, as i had all the parts. But what isn't immediately obvious is which way the connecting rod goes; is it (i) vertical, perpendicular to the wishbone or (ii) horizontal, (kind of) parallel to the wishbone?

I have spent some time searching, but found nothing definitive. Realoem appears to suggest that the rod (part 13 below) should be vertical

However I don't know if that picture is orientation specific. I checked a friend's M5, and his is installed horizontally, and so mine is now installed horizontally. But I have a feeling it should be vertical, as when it is horizontal it would appear likely that there would be very little travel in the sensor arm to allow for adjustment (certainly less movement than in the front sensor).

So what say y'all, horizontal or vertical?

Opinions much appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Robo, are you wondering about the arms orientation on the rear passenger side (UK) ?

If so i'll happily have a look at mine tomorrow if thats any good?

jamie

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Since the sensor arm has to rotate as the suspension moves up and down, it seems to make more sense that the connecting link would be vertical. That's what this pic and a couple of others I have show.

a2e69f4f.jpg

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robo, are you wondering about the arms orientation on the rear passenger side (UK) ?

If so i'll happily have a look at mine tomorrow if thats any good?

jamie

Thanks Jamie, that'd be much appreciated. It's rear driver's side for us in the UK.

I'm leaning in favour of vertical, for the reasons FB has given

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's definitely 'vertical', as tried and tested this evening. With stock suspension you can flick it from 'horizontal' to 'vertical' while it's in situ with just the wheel off. Not sure i could have done that with my suspension (b8 & intrax) because i think there's less travel, but i didn't actually try

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does anyone know what the part number is for the front level sensor?

Mine is dead (according to INPA), which explains why the headlamp range is poor, so want to get it replaced

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's 37146784696 for the front sensor

Check both front and rear rods are connected too, and of course the adjusters themselves. It seems unlikely that a dead sensor on the front would cause the lights to point down on its own. Could be wrong though

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's 37146784696 for the front sensor

Check both front and rear rods are connected too, and of course the adjusters themselves. It seems unlikely that a dead sensor on the front would cause the lights to point down on its own. Could be wrong though
Thanks for the part number :)

Both level sensors are connected to the suspension and moving, but the front sensor has failed electronically, as a precaution the car points the lights down to prevent them from dazzling other road users.

If you do the level sensor test in INPA or DIS both lights move up & down correctly, so the adjusters in the headlamps and motors are ok.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Robo sorry for the late reply, my subscription for this thread had gone AWOL for some reason (probably me)

I've had a look at this earlier and managed to squeeze my head in! Mine looks the same setup as Malcolms picture earlier

1 - 11 of 11 Posts