BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the WeissLicht Ultra-Bright LED Angel Eye Upgrade and want to get the headlamp to match a bit closer to them...D1S or D2S? I assume D1S is for 2008+ and prior to is D2S. I also noticed on Sylvania's site there is "2006 BMW M5 (With halogen capsule headlamps)". I assume I have HID's...how can I confirm this fact as I dont want to order the wrong bulbs.

A good rule of thumb also is?
Pre 2008 is non-LCI
After 2008 is LCI

·
Company Representative for Jlevi StreetWerks
1,005 Posts
What year is your M5? You can double check the Xenon option by looking at the outer bezel, it will have Xenon etched in there however I believe these were standard for the E60 M5. I have yet to see an M5 with halogens.

If you have an 08+ model, it is the LCI version and uses the D1S style bulb. If it is pre-08, then it's D2S. We offer either application in a 6000k xenon white to match the WeissLicht LED Angel Eyes which are also a 6000k xenon white color.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
All M5s came standard with Xenon/HID. LCI Models (2008+) utilize H8 bulbs for the AEs and D1S for the low beam. Pre-LCI Models (2007/earlier) utilize a different fitment bulb for the AEs (Our WL V2 unit is PN LHUXX1WYY) and D2S bulbs for the low beam.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
All M5s came standard with Xenon/HID. LCI Models (2008+) utilize H8 bulbs for the AEs and D1S for the low beam. Pre-LCI Models (2007/earlier) utilize a different fitment bulb for the AEs (Our WL V2 unit is PN LHUXX1WYY) and D2S bulbs for the low beam.
GRRRRRRR. Got my HID upgrades yesterday and I jsut went to put in the new bulbs....based on the above seeing how I have a 2006, I ordered the D2S. However, looking at the back of the lighting housing (OSRAM XENARC) I see D1S 35w.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
GRRRRRRR. Got my HID upgrades yesterday and I jsut went to put in the new bulbs....based on the above seeing how I have a 2006, I ordered the D2S. However, looking at the back of the lighting housing (OSRAM XENARC) I see D1S 35w.
That's very strange. Perhaps there must've been a build month cutoff date for the transition into the D1S bulbs, although for a MY2006 vehicle that's unlikely since the transition was between 07-08 MYs. Did the previous owner retrofit LCI headlamps ?

In any event, shoot me a PM, we'll get the bulbs swapped out ASAP.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Calvin/Nick for the help on this today.

To my understanding the only difference between LCI and non-LCI is the amber piece on the corner...which I have. So that would mean i have non-LCI. Very odd.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 06 m5 that I purchased d2s bulbs for according to the osram/sylvania site. well, guess what, wrong bulb for this car, should be a d1s. grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting...maybe Jlevisw should have a disclaimer: "Please check your Ballast before ordering"

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How difficult are these to install yourself? Any code errors once installed? Can you see them when the lights are on? Can you post pictures once installed in daylight, night time and with headlights on.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, since I dont have the correct bulbs....I cant answer these questions. I will however post pis once installed. These should be error free since I am non_LCI. Install (as much as I could do of it) was simple.

(off memory)
1. Remove rubber trim
2. Remove 5 bolts holding bumper in place
3. Remove 2 bolts holding headlights in place
4. Loosen (no need to remove) 2 bolts (need 6" extension to reach)
5. Remove black plastic caps on headlight housing
6. SLOWLY slide them out
7. Disconnect wire
8. Turn counter clockwise and pull out
9. Remove retainer clip
*****This is where I realized I had the wrong ones*****
If D1S:
10. Add retainer clip to new D1S and reverse above steps
If D2S:
10a. Replace bulb
11. Add retainer clip and reverse above steps.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Thanks, I saw your other post with the instructions. I'll like to see your pics when you are done. Funny I think I read in the other post that someone was able to make the change without removing the headlight. That looks almost impossible!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks, I saw your other post with the instructions. I'll like to see your pics when you are done. Funny I think I read in the other post that someone was able to make the change without removing the headlight. That looks almost impossible!!

which vendor did you get your Hamann CF Front Lip from ? :D

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Got it from ebay seller but I would not recommend it for the following reasons:

It looks pretty good and fit pretty well but brittle. Any minor contacts will crack it and you will hit something no matter how careful you are.
If you plan on driving fast, anything over 120, the downforce will actually start pulling the bolt through. Two of the bolts on mine including big washers went right through the spoiler.
Something flew off the back of a truck one day on the freeway and hit it and completely destroyed it. So now I run without. I still like the way it looks but not quite sturdy enough for me.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Does any one know if you can do a 1 for 1 swap of the entire headlamp assembly from an 2008 E60 to a 2006?
You cant you will need new wiring, new module and i believe new programming for them to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yeah thats what i've been reading on other posts. thanks for the response. i guess i'll just go with an umnitza upgrade!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts