BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
They all do that. It's not even unique to M5s. My M3 does that, and so did my M Roadster. I think you're right about it being a safety feature. Or really a solution to a chicken and egg problem. If it's really dark, you need your lights. But you can't see the switch to turn them on because it's dark. Solution is to make the switch lit all the time so when it gets dark, you can see the switch to turn on the lights. (BTW when I say on all the time I mean when the car is running. There is a countdown timer that shuts it off after the car is turned off.)

Also, welcome! :cool2:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
how come the center vent wheel controlling air flow is not illuminated, even at night???
Because in BMW-think, it's not a "safety item"? :1: I've often wondered that, too. Maybe they figure putting in a light there isn't worth the engineering expense. It's supposed to allow you to adjust temp of air to the face when air to rest of the body is at a different temp. For example, heated air to body and legs, fresh air to face to keep you warm but awake at night. Since there is no real precision to what "feels" right on your face, perhaps the thought is that you just rotate it until it "feels" right? :confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts