BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, my first post. Just purchased a 2003 M5 three weeks ago :D . Ever since reading the article in the December 1999 issue of Motor Trend about "the 400 HP super sedan", I was hooked. It took five years, but I did it. This site has been a wealth of knowledge, and for that I say "thanks guys!"

Anyhow, getting back to my question, my headlight switch always seems to be illuminated. I noticed it as I pulled into the garage the other night. I turned the headlights off and the switch was still lit. Is this a safety feature, so one can always see the switch, or is it just one of those things that makes my car unique?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
They all do that. It's not even unique to M5s. My M3 does that, and so did my M Roadster. I think you're right about it being a safety feature. Or really a solution to a chicken and egg problem. If it's really dark, you need your lights. But you can't see the switch to turn them on because it's dark. Solution is to make the switch lit all the time so when it gets dark, you can see the switch to turn on the lights. (BTW when I say on all the time I mean when the car is running. There is a countdown timer that shuts it off after the car is turned off.)

Also, welcome! :cool2:

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Need4Spd said:
But you can't see the switch to turn them on because it's dark. Solution is to make the switch lit all the time so when it gets dark, you can see the switch to turn on the lights.

Also, welcome! :cool2:
Makes sense. Corollary: how come the center vent wheel controlling air flow is not illuminated, even at night???
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
105 Posts
gsfent said:
Makes sense. Corollary: how come the center vent wheel controlling air flow is not illuminated, even at night???
Regards,
Jerry

Couse it's just cheap painted plastic! ouich

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
iMac said:
Couse it's just cheap painted plastic! ouich
:1: :1: :1: . BMW, :nono: On the "bright" side, it is something that can't break!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
how come the center vent wheel controlling air flow is not illuminated, even at night???
Because in BMW-think, it's not a "safety item"? :1: I've often wondered that, too. Maybe they figure putting in a light there isn't worth the engineering expense. It's supposed to allow you to adjust temp of air to the face when air to rest of the body is at a different temp. For example, heated air to body and legs, fresh air to face to keep you warm but awake at night. Since there is no real precision to what "feels" right on your face, perhaps the thought is that you just rotate it until it "feels" right? :confused:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
sublimaze said:
Anyhow, getting back to my question, my headlight switch always seems to be illuminated. I noticed it as I pulled into the garage the other night. I turned the headlights off and the switch was still lit. Is this a safety feature, so one can always see the switch, or is it just one of those things that makes my car unique?
I think it's only on for a certain amount of time. If you had an automatic, the gauge for the gear selector would do the same. If the car is parked for a long time, it turns on after you open the door. Check it out. Leave the car parked for 10 minutes or so and look in the window. It should be off until you open the door.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a_ok2me said:
I think it's only on for a certain amount of time. If you had an automatic, the gauge for the gear selector would do the same. If the car is parked for a long time, it turns on after you open the door. Check it out. Leave the car parked for 10 minutes or so and look in the window. It should be off until you open the door.
It stays on while I'm driving also. It's not that noticeable in the daytime, just when you encounter some shade.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
I've pondered that question for years also since EVERYTHING ELSE is lit. I use that control a lot. It especialy comes in handy to blow cooler air at night (which is a safety feature BTW). But, you can't see to change it! I've sinced learned to feel the dots and find the centering line to adjust it.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
BMW also did away with lighted power window switches in the rear. In my 5's from the 80's, they were lighted and when you defeat the switches from the master switch from the drivers main controls, the lights went off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts