BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the past month ive noticed that the angel eye ring around my drivers side highbeam has been getting worse and worse in terms of the lighting quality. The ring used to only have a slight lack of light but last week only half of the ring lights up and and looks like crap. We have pretty much passed our rain season and I was wondering if it is because of water damage. Ive only owned the headlights for about 3 months.
Here the headlights that I have 55w 6k
BMW E39 DJ Auto Headlights Hella Style (HID kit & Angel Eyes Included) E39PROJHELLADJ - DDM Tuning Car Part Store Online

I had them professionally installed. I dont know whether to contact the website that I bought them from or the actual manufacter of the headlights.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I will try to post pictures tonight if they are needed.

Thanks
Will

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Make sure the bulb that lights the angel eyes is secured properly in the housing. You can swap bulbs from one side to the other to see if the problem follows or remains to help eliminate or determine that the bulb is at fault.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
IIRC they use a single bulb per pair of rings. It's odd that a ring would only light halfway.. check the bulbs to make sure they haven't partially popped out.. this is the only thing I can think of that would cause half a ring to light up.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive looked more closely at the ring and noticed that it was cracked. What kind of headlights do you guys have? OEM?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
ive looked more closely at the ring and noticed that it was cracked. What kind of headlights do you guys have? OEM?
I have the OEM Hella lights with the OEM angel eyes but I have a custom angel eye lighting set up with Powerpucks and LED's to make em Hella bright!

·
763 Posts
What's odd is that I have OEM lights and neither the OEM nor my aftermarket bulbs are very bright... I can "aim" the bulb and make it brighter but as soon as it is lined up to be installed they are really dim....

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Wait did you get new rings?? or just new bulbs
No, same OEM rings since my car is a 2002 so it is facelifted. Just new LED's(3 per side), housings and power supply for the LED's. I think my set up is in my sig.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, same OEM rings since my car is a 2002 so it is facelifted. Just new LED's(3 per side), housings and power supply for the LED's. I think my set up is in my sig.
Thanks btw would u recommend the shark chip?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Thanks btw would u recommend the shark chip?

lol, yes I do. The throttle is too jumpy in Sport mode from a stand still but in non-sport mode I find it quite linear. Jim Conforti has developed a new "M5Board tune"['s] to address the jumpy throttle and if you purchase a shark injector new, you can have the revised tune. Those of us who already have the original Shark tunes have to wait for Jim to flesh out a secure method of distributing the updated tune to us.

I for one am fine to just restore back to stock, send my injector to them to update it to the M5Board Tune" and re-install the new improved tune and be done with all this waiting. It'll be a year in July I believe since the new tune was offered by Jim Conforti.

·
763 Posts
Well the past month ive noticed that the angel eye ring around my drivers side highbeam has been getting worse and worse in terms of the lighting quality. The ring used to only have a slight lack of light but last week only half of the ring lights up and and looks like crap. We have pretty much passed our rain season and I was wondering if it is because of water damage. Ive only owned the headlights for about 3 months.
Here the headlights that I have 55w 6k
BMW E39 DJ Auto Headlights Hella Style (HID kit & Angel Eyes Included) E39PROJHELLADJ - DDM Tuning Car Part Store Online

I had them professionally installed. I dont know whether to contact the website that I bought them from or the actual manufacter of the headlights.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I will try to post pictures tonight if they are needed.

Thanks
Will

Do what I did... remove the bulb and use a mirror. Look inside the assembly and see what's blocking the light... the light collector might just need to be cleaned. Mine was covered with blue plastic in a stupid attempt to change the color of the ring.. :rolleyes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts