BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights are pointing far too low again.

I replaced the adjusters with metal ones some years ago and there is no play in the bulb carrier so I'm confident the problem is not in the headlights themselves.

I can hear the adjustment motors running and see a reduced size test flip up and down when I switch on so the motors are ok.

I suspect the front (or rear) level sensor has failed so I checked both for obvious damage - broken arm etc. - but no problem there.

On removing the front sensor, I note that there is absolutely no resistance to the movement of the plastic arm that forms part of the sensor (p/n 37146784696 I think). Can someone who has had theirs off tell me whether they recall any resistance at all (or a sense that the internals are moving, however imperceptible) please?

Any other suggestions before I order a £50 part without confirmed diagnosis?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had my rear sensor off to replace my rear control arms recently. There was no resistance to speak of. If you have reduced movement of the lights at start-up are you sure the motor isn't jammed? My two cents is to go back to investigate new work recently done although having replaced adjustors too I know the job is annoying.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts but there was no work done recently - I replaced the adjusters with metal ones some years back and the lights have always leveled correctly until this last week.

I don't think the motors are jammed because both lights perform the same and its unlikely that both motors suffered an identical glitch.

Mike

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
The simple test would be to disconnect the level sensors so they can move freely. Adjust them to have the car out of level and see where the lights point. Try and make the lights point as high as they can. See if you can get full movement out of the lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts