BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3M headlight lens restoration went perfectly on the driver's side, then had a mishap with the drill hitting the bumper with 500 grip sandpaper outside the taped off area. The lens turned out great fared much better than the bumper!

Is there any fix short of a repaint? I've heard of "Dr. Colorchip", but not sure if this is beyond that type of fix. Suggestions?

Here's the damage...

Attachments

·
Registered
02' Carbon Black M5 & 11' Alpine White 335D M Sport
139 Posts
hopefully you didn't sand through the Clear Coat. Personally, I would hit it with some finer sand paper and polish it out. Just call it a wetsanding :)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Yeah, those look to be surface scuffs, so you should be able to polish it out with compound or wet sand then polish.

·
Registered
750 Posts
To me the "white" suggests you've mucked up the clear coat but probably didn't penetrate. I'd polish it with an orbital buffer (that is if you have the equipment, pads, polish, experience, etc). I wouldn't start by sanding. Even 1000 grit can go through the clear coat fast. 1500 grit is good for leveling orange peal btw. If buffing doesn't take it all out at least it will smooth it and make the "white" more transparent again and you'll be able to see through down to color. So again, orbital polishing is what I'd do. Post this in the detailer's forum and see what the professionals and amateurs there have to say.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That should buff out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
^Agree.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Yeah, those look to be surface scuffs, so you should be able to polish it out with compound or wet sand then polish.
To me the "white" suggests you've mucked up the clear coat but probably didn't penetrate. I'd polish it with an orbital buffer (that is if you have the equipment, pads, polish, experience, etc). I wouldn't start by sanding. Even 1000 grit can go through the clear coat fast. 1500 grit is good for leveling orange peal btw. If buffing doesn't take it all out at least it will smooth it and make the "white" more transparent again and you'll be able to see through down to color. So again, orbital polishing is what I'd do. Post this in the detailer's forum and see what the professionals and amateurs there have to say.

Agree with these...BUT NOT the first two posts. DO NOT start with wetsanding etc. Medium compound on a buffer or RA and see how it responds. THEN go from there.

You can always get more aggressive. You cannot undo a 'too aggressive' approach.

IMO

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ouch. Luckily I agree with our M5 brothers...If you are not used to using a orbital buffer it might even be worth having a professional polish it out. I'd wet-sand (or more accurately, I'd let a professional detailer wet-sand) only if an orbital buffer with an appropriate polish did not take care of the damage.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips guys. I will post this to the detailer forum in the future. For now, I will start with the least abrasive options (buffer/polish) and work up to more aggressive (1500 grit sanding) if that doesn't work.

Unfortunately, this car does have a hood and front bumper respray in a metallic that doesn't match the LeMans Blue. The color is good, but the "fleck" in the paint is much bigger than the "pearl" in the original European paint. There is also some over spray on the lower panels that shouldn't have it. Previous owner(s) cheap repair. Oh well, live and learn and get the job done right the first time.

Good news is if these fixes don't work on the headlights repair scuffs, they will be fixed when I eventually have the hood, rear bumper (fading) and front bumper repainted. So, I got that going for me... :)

- Josh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts