BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally getting around to doing some cosmetic things to the car after rectifying all the outstanding maintenance the previous owner ignored. I've searched countless threads but I'm not exactly sure what I have here. The ballasts are Hella, but I'm under the impression these are not my OEM housings as I was told that 2000 model headlights cannot be separated... as these can. Are they 2001 lights? The covers I know are DEPO (markings on the lens) but I just need to figure out what origin the 'back' section is.

Also, what type of HID bulb is this and can I use another bulb (say, from DDM) in place of it with the stock ballast? Is the stock ballast rated at a certain wattage? i.e. 35w or 55w?

I'm sure a ton of you have been through it - I found little bits of white plastic in the housing. Can anyone point me to a thread on how to replace the level adjusters? I didn't see any easy way to take the mechanism apart either...

I ordered the ML-030 CCFL angel eyes from DDM but they don't seem to fit like the dead ones I'm replacing (see pic) - they're slightly smaller in diameter. Previous owner mounted these in front of the glass pieces of the DEPO covers with some sticky stuff, does anyone else know what A/E kit will fit here the same way as the old ones do?

Thanks fellas.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
60 views and no answers? Wow.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The adjusters look like they are aftermarket, and the AE did not appear until 2001+, which leads me to believe they are depo replacements.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I linked here the sites I used to refurbish my pre-facelift headlights. You have a pre-facelift (MY2000 and older) haedlight assembly. The covers are definitely DEPO but the back piece looks OEM for a pre-face-lift vehicle, you should be able to find a molded roundel somewhere on the housing. These headlights are very easy to take apart. MY2001 (post-facelift) can be baked open. After MY2001, they can not be opened.

The ballast is 35W and the bulb type is D2S. The high-beam is a 9005 halogen.

-Josiah

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't find a roundel anywhere on the headlight part of the assembly but I didn't look very hard for one either. I did find the DEPO covers that I have for sale @ ECS here:

BMW E39 M5 S62 5.0L > Lighting > Indicator > ES#10669 E39 Indicator Cover / Headlight Cover Set-Smoke - FKBL041013

I wonder if these would even fit over aftermarket housings, otherwise it says they are designed to fit over anything up to 2000.

Any ideas what angel eyes would fit in front of these lenses they way the old ones do in the pic above? Talked to DDM but no answers...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts