BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from David, new poster.
Hope someone can help....
A friend in France is trying to register a UK (rhd) E60 2006 in France.
The uk headlights dip the wrong way.
How would she know if hers are
dip-changeable ?
Or does she have to replace?
Are they all Xenons?
Best source for cheap and cheerful?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not sure if I fully understand - the adaptive headlights swivel right and left with the turn of the steering wheel, but as far as dip, are you referring to auto level or ?

From my understanding, rhd vs. lhd just have a slight offset in the angle of the beam which is typically a manual adjustment.

Any clarification and maybe we can help more?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not sure if I fully understand - the adaptive headlights swivel right and left with the turn of the steering wheel, but as far as dip, are you referring to auto level or ?

From my understanding, rhd vs. lhd just have a slight offset in the angle of the beam which is typically a manual adjustment.

Any clarification and maybe we can help more?
Almost certainly is referring to the offset you mention. UK drives on the left, so the left headlight is angled up a bit (or right angled down, I'm not sure) for roadside illumination or whatever (as you alluded to) so in France where they drive on the right this is shining into the oncoming lane.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s the problem!
Are all e60 adaptive headlamps?
Someone said there is a lever to pull or turn to change the dip for driving on the continent, where would that be on the light?
If I had the car here I would try the swop reflector side to side that was mentioned on pelican.
She is sending photos and I will post them to see if there is a soloution.
A bit of tape over the lens prism isn’t going to achieve “les norms Francais”,required
For Immatriculation on to French plates!
New lights are costing more than she paid for the car.
How do community members change their headlight dip for their continent visits?

·
Registered
482 Posts
That’s the problem!
Are all e60 adaptive headlamps?
Someone said there is a lever to pull or turn to change the dip for driving on the continent, where would that be on the light?
If I had the car here I would try the swop reflector side to side that was mentioned on pelican.
She is sending photos and I will post them to see if there is a soloution.
A bit of tape over the lens prism isn’t going to achieve “les norms Francais”,required
For Immatriculation on to French plates!
New lights are costing more than she paid for the car.
How do community members change their headlight dip for their continent visits?
No, not all E60’s have adaptive lights. As this is the M5 forum, almost all our cars have adaptive lights (I believe all North American E60 M5’s have adaptive xenon as standard, and a large amount of members on this forum are US/Canada). You may get some better responses on a generic 5 series forum, I unfortunately doubt many members here have ever had to change their headlight dip. This thread may help though: Adjusting Headlights on E60

·
Registered
295 Posts
UK Cars have a a left kick up on both headlight beams. If you drive on the continent, then you need to move a small flap inside the headlight to block off the left kick up and make the headlight beam completely flat. This lever exists whether you have normal or adaptive headlights.

With the bonnet up, looking at the top of the headlight, you will see a round cap, around 40mm in diameter. Twist this counter-clockwise no more than 1/8 a turn and you can lift it off.
Do this when the light is cold... Put your finger inside and you will feel a flimsy plastic tab lying horizontally, about 5mm in width. You need to gently pull this up, or push it down, it is spring loaded. I can't recall if it is up or down to move the sheild up or down, but give it a go and see what the headlight beam does.
All of this is detailed in the manual, probably with pictures.

This is intended as a temporary measure when driving on the wrong side of the road ;) I don't know if the French will care that the beam is now flat instead of having the correct kickup on the right of the headlight beam as per ECE headlight spec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UK Cars have a a left kick up on both headlight beams. If you drive on the continent, then you need to move a small flap inside the headlight to block off the left kick up and make the headlight beam completely flat. This lever exists whether you have normal or adaptive headlights.

With the bonnet up, looking at the top of the headlight, you will see a round cap, around 40mm in diameter. Twist this counter-clockwise no more than 1/8 a turn and you can lift it off.
Do this when the light is cold... Put your finger inside and you will feel a flimsy plastic tab lying horizontally, about 5mm in width. You need to gently pull this up, or push it down, it is spring loaded. I can't recall if it is up or down to move the sheild up or down, but give it a go and see what the headlight beam does.
All of this is detailed in the manual, probably with pictures.

This is intended as a temporary measure when driving on the wrong side of the road ;) I don't know if the French will care that the beam is now flat instead of having the correct kickup on the right of the headlight beam as per ECE headlight spec.
Many thanks Bono , that was the concise, knowledgeable answer I badly needed.
Why can’t forums work like this instead of slanging matches and contests?
Why are M5 owners particularly beligerant? They give the car a bad name! Lol, going back to my Skoda forum now......

·
Registered
341 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts