BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently started sanding/polishing my headlights and started wondering if you could just buy the replacement clear cover like you could on some older cars. So in poking around a friend of mine found these, but they're listed only for pre-LCI models (I haven't found any for 2008-2010). Would these fit with modifications, or are the pre-LCI completely different from the LCI?

BMW 5 Series E60 04 07 Pre Face Set Headlights Headlamp Lens Covers Left Right | eBay

I'd love to just have brand new cover vs sanding/polishing the existing ones. Mostly because even with a good sand/polish I still have rock chips that are too deep to sand out.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
From what I'm aware the E60 lenses don't seperate like the older model BMWs do such as the E46. The E46 had clips depending on which model and year you had and you can separate and replace the lens instead of refinishing.

Another point is most of the companies that mod the E60 headlights have to cut the lenses open around the edges so another reason for me to believe you can't replace them easily.

That link you posted could be pre-LCI non xenon headlights. I've never seen those headlights out of the car maybe those are able to be replaced?

I'm sure Chris from Republic Wraps can chime in he's done many headlights including mine.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
there is a way to separate the clear plastic lens from the main housing using high heat. however, its very difficult to do without damaging the light permanently. E46 and E92 lights bake open easily....our E60 lights do not. of all the sets ive done, ive cut open the ones that i wanted to seal properly. ive experimented with some spare sets on ways to open w/o cutting...but honestly it was not work the effort as damage can easily ensue..

i will say this though, when it comes to refinishing lenses....if you know what youre doing and have the patience....you can get out 99% of the rock chips and finish it off with a UV clear coat that will rival almost any new set...so all is not lost brotha ;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Exterior cleaning up isnt too hard, but what about pitting INSIDE of the lense?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

pitting comes from exterior impacts (road debris) causing abrasions....i dont know how it would be physically possible to have pitting inside the lens...

perhaps im not understanding you correctly.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing you're referring to getting water spots/marks inside the lens? I have those on one of my headlights, which is also irritating. I don't know of any way to clean that outside of removing the lens, which appears to be very difficult. Although I had thought about dumping a bunch of rubbing alcohol in the lens, swirl it around to hopefully get the water marks off and then let it pool/dry in a spot that's not terribly visible. I'm tempted to try that this weekend while I'm working on buffing out the lens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts