BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my M5 for just about 11 years now. No accidents, and still on the original headlight bulbs. The car has spent 99% of all nights garaged since the day I picked it up new.

The other day my old Corvette needed the M5's garage space for a few days, so the M5 spent some time outside in the driveway. We had a very heavy rainstorm, and the next morning right side headlight unit had a lot of condensation in it - the left side was dry. I've been driving around in the daytime since then with the high beams on trying to burn it off - it appears to help temporarily, but the next morning it's all fogged up again. I checked the vent tube and nothing was interfering with it, and I blasted some compressed air up in it - no help. The seals under the hood seem to be fine or at least no different from the other side.

I've searched this and other websites but haven't found much help as to the cause and repair.

Any suggestions?

Steve
00 M5
84 911 Andial
64 Corvette Coupe
10 S1000RR

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
When I picked my car up 6 years ago, it had just been washed by the dealer (I suspect they used a pressure washer). One of the headlights was fogged up. I was assured it was a temporary thing, and began the long trip home. In my mind, I thought the seal must have been damaged and would need a new light. It took quite a while for the fog to completely clear (maybe a week, can't remember fully). However, it has not been back after all these years despite washes, rain, etc.

I'd just let it clear up and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
You could always remove the headlight (remove all bulbs) put it in the oven on a lower temp setting like 150 to 200(whatever it takes to loosen the headlight adhesive-do a search), pry apart the assembly, clean off the plastic (oven may remove moisture on its own), reheat headlights to reactivate the adhesive and stick em back together.

I know lots of people have opened up headlights with the oven method, so I thought I'd throw it out there for you as an option since you have a 2000 so it will for sure work for you.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll try the patiently waiting method first, then the easy bake.

Steve

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
If your goal in the end is to remove the front cover and you have pre-facelift headlights, i.e. the ones that came from the factory on your MY2000, there is no need to bake them open; the covers un-snap off very easiliy and quickly. Otherwise, I agree that baking them at a low temperature for a while may be your next step if the condensation does not clear up "naturally."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts